Chapter Thirty Two

Scorpius' POV

Of course my temporary home was wonderful, but my palms were a little sweaty thinking about Dorian at my permanent one. I was sure he would be fine. He would be careful anyway. And my mom hadn't hit me since autumn break of first year, after I came home with a Ravenclaw robe. My dad was so angry that I was worried he might hit her and she backed off. But still, I couldn't help fearing that I should have given Dorian more warning. It was only for tonight. When he woke up tomorrow, he would be himself and he would have to be sent home.

Meanwhile, I was playing football with Dorian's parents. I felt a bit awkward at the fact that I was imposing on what was supposed to be special bonding time with their child, but it was fun.

Soon enough dinner was ready and I quickly shoved down the food on my plate.

"Would you like any more?" Anastasia asked me.

"Oh, um, no. I'm alright."

"You cleaned your whole plate? You must have missed the palace food," Castion chuckled.

I realized this house must have different rules than my own, but I just faked a laugh and assured him that the food was wonderful.

Dorian's POV

I laid in my bed wide awake. The pair had finally stopped fighting. I couldn't imagine the reaction that I would get in the morning when I greeted them in my own body. There was no way that I could just continue the plan that way.

I turned over and over in my bed pondering what to do. And then I thought of those loving grandmother kisses from early. I hoped my senses about her were right otherwise I may not make it home at all.

I placed my feet on the floor, slipping on the slippers that I found by Scorpius' bedside. He had given me a detailed layout of where everything was in his room and yet had failed to mention that his mum might beat me if I didn't finish my eggs. Minor detail.

I shuffled into the hall and squinted, trying to see through the darkness. I had passed by an open door-which I was certain was the master bedroom- the bathroom, and a closed door. That had to be the guest bedroom.

I knocked on the door and the sound made me instantly regret my decision, but seconds later there was a creak. "Oh come on in. What are you doing out of bed at this hour? Couldn't sleep?"

I shook my head and walked into the room, taking a seat on a spot on the bed that she patted.

"Something troubling you?"

"Yes, actually."

"What's wrong?" She sat next to me on the bed, turning her knees in my direction to give me her full attention. She furrowed her eyebrows in expectation of my answer and I noticed that the majority of her wrinkles were on her forehead. I suppose it made sense that having a teenaged son working for a wizard whose name most were too scared to say made a mother worry.

"..." I couldn't just straight out tell her that I wasn't Scorpius, could I? "I'm not Scorpius."

"What?"

"I'm a friend of Scorpius. From Hogwarts. He made us Polyjuice Potion and we drank it to switch places." I braced myself for her reaction. She stood quickly from the bed, hand on the wand sitting on her nightstand, but she didn't even pick it up.

"Why did you switch places?"

"Um..." This part was even harder. There was no way Draco's family was going to let him marry my mum. Now I had to tell her that hopes of their romance were the exact reason that I was here. "I don't know if you knew. Draco had a girlfriend in high school."

"Yes. A mudblood. He told me." She looked at the ground. I followed her eyes, but nothing was there but the wooden floorboards.

"Well... I'm her son."

Her gaze returned to me.

"We... were hoping to get them back together."

The room was eerily silent and she sat back down on the bed beside me. She had picked up the wand and was turning it over in her hand. "And you weren't expecting a fight tonight..."

"Certainly not." With a mother in her room every day, arguments were not in my list of things that occurred at family dinners.

"I can get Astoria out of the way tomorrow. I'm sure Draco won't have any problem with seeing the muggle princess."

"You're going to help me?" I asked confusedly.

"Don't tell Lucius," she gave me a weak smile, but a part of her was nervous.

"Why are you helping?"

"Because.... There's no way a muggleborn could be worse for my son and grandson than the witch that's here right now. And, between you and me, I was not the one to discourage their engagement then either."

"You would have let him marry my mum?"

"I would have let him marry anyone that made him that happy. He used to tell me everything. When he lost her, I lost him."

"Yeah," I nodded. I understood. I loved my father, but I just wanted my mum. "I never really had her."