Chapter Nine

Dorian's POV

"DAD!" I sprinted and jumped to wrap my arms around him.

He picked me up and squeezed me tight before setting me back down and bowing. "Welcome back, your majesty."

I giggled, but then my mum walked in and his face changed a little bit. He was still smiling, but my dad had taken me to the theatre and sometimes the way the couples on stage spoke to each other reminded me of my parents.

"Hello, my dear."

"Hello," she offered a small smile.

"Will you be joining us for a celebratory family dinner tonight?" Dad asked.

"Of course, I'd love to." Before Hogwarts, mum would've gone straight to her room.

"Dad, can we play football in the yard."

"Ah, you know croquet is more kingly," he shook his head, but I knew he was just kidding. "Ah I'm just kidding. Sure we can." Knew it.

I ran to grab the ball and he followed me. I had missed my dad while we were away, but now that I was here, I missed my friends. Although, I didn't like being around Cindy sometimes. It made me feel all queasy. Sometimes I'd make a joke and she'd nudge me and the world slowed down or maybe I sped up, but whatever it was, it was bad. She was probably cursed.

"So," my dad launched the ball at my feet. "You told me about some friends. Cindy and Tiberius?"

"Yup."

"Tell me about them."

"Well," I kicked the ball back. "I met them on the train my very first day. Tiberius is cool. He likes football too. Most wizard kids don't know much about muggle sports."

"Muggle?"

"Non-magical people. Like you."

"Ah I see. So things are really different over there?"

"Oh yeah super. They all grew up studying spells and stuff, although when we're not at school, we're not allowed to use magic until we're seventeen, so I can't even show you anything I learned."

"That's okay. You can show me in a few years when you're a total master. And what about Cindy? Is she cute?"

"Ew no. She's just Cindy."

"What does she look like?"

"Well, she's a Ravenclaw so she wears a lot of blue and she wears skirts every single day. Her hair is blonde and she braids it a lot and sometimes it's all of her hair but sometimes it's just like the front pieces to keep it out of her face. She doesn't like it in her eyes when she's studying and she's always studying and yeah," I shrugged.

"Mhmm. And what does Tiberius look like?"

"Uh he has brown hair and he's a Slytherin like me."

He started chuckling and I wasn't sure why, but I didn't like it.

"Well, they both seem very nice."

***

We sat in silence around the table. I remembered why I liked Hogwarts so much.

"So how was your time at Hogwarts, Anastasia?"

"Very nice," she nodded. "I was surprised my advisor didn't barge in and bring me home though."

"Oh..." my dad scratched his head. "I fired him back in September."

My mum nearly dropped her spoon. "I see. Well, ahem um how have other things been here?"

I'd never really liked my mum's advisor. My mum was always in a bad mood, but when he came around she got extra grumpy and yelled a lot, so I was happy to hear that he was gone. My dad always knew what to do. Mum's parents were still alive so my parents were technically still just the prince and princess, but dad was starting to have more and more to do. One day I would be making big decisions for the country too. I would be the greatest king on the whole planet. Dad said so himself.

"Daddddd, can we go play more football before it gets dark?"

"Four more bites of your meal and then yes."

I grabbed my spoons and began cramming the food into my mouth.

"May I join you two tonight?" No way was my mum trying to play. Girls probably sucked at football anyway.

"Oh I- of course you can," dad said.

Mum and dad were both laughing, trying to run and kick the ball at the trees we had designated as goals. I didn't know why they were happy when I was winning by like thirty goals.

Eventually, I was rubbing my eyes. I definitely wasn't sleepy, but my dad said it was his bedtime which meant that it was mine too.

He tucked me into bed and tonight my mum kissed me on the forehead too. The first day of summer was over.