Chapter Twenty Eight

Tiberius' POV

"It'll be fun," I insisted.

"Says the drunk. I think it sounds like trouble."

"C'mon, you're a teenager. Live a little."

"I'm barely thirteen."

"Yeah, and? You go to school with seventeen year olds. We have to reach a higher level of maturity or we'll never make it," I explained.

"Maturity? Partying is maturity?"

"Sure it is," I smirked.

She looked at me for a second and I could tell I was getting to her. "What would I even wear?"

"Something hot."

She bit her lip and smiled a bit. I suppose she didn't get a lot of time to dress for the purpose of being hot.

She forced me to sit in the hallway outside of the Hufflepuff common room and said she would come out to show me her options.

Soon enough, the door opened and she stepped out in a tight, burnt orange dress that clung to her body.

She was smiling and spun a little bit, but for some reason I felt kind of sick.

"Nope," I shook my head.

"No? Really? I thought it was perfect," she frowned.

"You look slutty," I shifted uncomfortably, imagining all of the boys staring at her, making moves just like I did to others. I felt a pang of guilt at the realization that all of those one-night stands were someone's cousins, big sisters, daughters. I'd avoided the thought before.

"You told me to be hot."

"Change of plans. Cover up. Winter attire."

She laughed and shook her head, "I like this. I'm wearing it."

I took a deep breath, regretting encouraging her. I couldn't retract the invitation now.

We got inside and I poured myself a cup of liquor right away. The girl looked at me expectantly. "You don't want this. You want the cheap stuff, over there," I pointed to the kids guzzling beer.

She squinted at me mischievously and took my cup from my hand. In just a single outfit suggestion, I've created a monster, I thought, but when she took a sip, she coughed and shook her head.

"See?" I laughed, reaching for the cup back.

She stepped back with a glare in her eyes and chugged the rest of the liquid. To be fair, I had barely poured a quarter of a cup, but still it was unexpected to say the least. She was challenging me, doing the opposite of whatever I said.

"That is disgusting," she admitted.

"Then don't drink any more." But she was already refilling the cup. I let her, pouring a new one for myself.

We separated from each other a bit. She was certainly drunk by now and began dancing around in the middle of the room. I chuckled and downed the rest of my own cup.

"What are you doing?"

"Dancing," she made a pouty face, clearly upset that I questioned her.

"It's very nice," I smiled, appeasing her enough that she returned to what she was doing.

"Join me," she held out her hand and I took it. She spun underneath my arm a few times and then got dizzy. She tripped into me and giggled drunkenly, standing on her tiptoes and promptly pecking my lips. Then, she backed up and our eyes locked like a scene straight out of a muggle movie. I'm not sure who leaned back in, but this next kiss was certainly not a peck. My hands moved over her body and she had both of hers on either side of my face as we took a breath and kissed again.

Dorian's POV

I sat in the Slytherin common room. We weren't dating. Not officially at least. I wondered if this was a good thing. I mean of course it was. I was in love with her. But then I thought about her and Scorpius. They liked each other a lot. And then things just became sort of... stagnant. There was nothing there. I wondered if I had dreamed of this so much that bringing it to reality would be sad and passionless in comparison.

I can't imagine that every kiss feels like that. But maybe that was one-sided. The thought of being nothing but a rebound plagued me.

But Cindy was better than that. She wouldn't do that to me. And even if she did, on accident or in all of the emotions of her recent confusion, that was okay. I'd just have to be ready for it and ensure that at least the friendship wouldn't turn stale.

She snuck into the room and set down her bags. "Hey," she smiled at me. The smile was bright and reassuring. How could she look at me like that if she didn't love me?

We walked outside into the sun. We hadn't actually talked about the kiss, but we certainly weren't acting like it never happened either.

Things were different. Still mostly just friendly, but different. I wouldn't be the one to initiate it, but I hoped for another kiss.

We laid down in the grass next to each other.

I glanced over. Her baby hairs were swirling in the breeze. I watched her chest move with each breath. For some strange reason, everything about her seemed endearing. Over the years, I'd gotten used to my heart warming at the sight of simple things like walking, talking, covering the food in her mouth when she laughed.

And then I muttered something that I didn't entirely intend to but meant wholeheartedly. "I love you."

She shot her head in my direction. She'd said it to me countless times, but, knowing it'd mean something much different coming from my mouth, I never returned the sentiment.

One kiss. We weren't even a couple. A slight surge of panic rushed through me as I realized maybe she planned on never bringing it up again.

But then she rolled over and rested her head on me. She cuddled up like a little puppy, in search of safety.

"I love you too," she whispered so gently that I almost didn't catch it. But I did.