Chapter Eleven

Anastasia's POV

Draco slipped into my room between his classes. He didn't even knock anymore. He walked to where I had been sitting in front of my desk and his hands settled on my shoulders. He pulled the straps of my dress down on each side and I tensed up a bit at the cold temperature of his hands.

"Hello," he pressed his lips to the nape of my neck. He felt so sure, so confident despite the fact that we were both married and the way he walked in a straight path to my body, I could almost hear him calling me 'kitten.'

"Hello," I returned the greeting.

He only had so long before he had to return to class. The greeting happened to be the only spoken word between us before he rushed back out the door.

I gathered up some things and left to find a little girl.

"Cindy Weasley," I said when I saw her in the middle of the grass with another Ravenclaw girl. She saw me and excused herself before coming to where I was standing.

"Hello," she curtsied.

"Oh no need for that," I lifted her face back up to look at me. "I brought a few things that I wanted to show you. These were Lucy's." I held out the armful of stuff.

"Really?"

"Yup. I want to tell you all about her. Come on let's go sit."

Cindy nodded eagerly.

We went and found a space under a tree. I set out the different items.

"She always told me that this was her favorite sweater. She was wearing it when she and I met. I don't know if it was really her favorite or if she was just telling me that, but she kept it."

Cindy took it from my hands and held it to her face, smelling the old perfume that hadn't been washed from the fabric yet. "Is this what she smelled like?"

I nodded. "Fresh honey and lemons? Yeah. Always. And this was the first letter Ron ever wrote to her. It was his attempt at poetry."

She took the crinkly old paper. "Did he know that shall and all don't rhyme?"

"I don't think so," we both giggled and she continued reading.

"He did NOT rhyme mine with FELINE?! Feline? You couldn't think of any other words, Ron?"

"Oh my gosh, I know. That boy did not know how to write a romantic poem. He didn't know how to write at all, really. But regardless, Lucy slept with that under her pillow for weeks."

We paused for a minute and then Cindy mumbled, "I wish I met her."

"She would love you. They both would. You guys would go on and on together about whatever favorite new thing you thought of to learn about and Ron would tease you guys for how boring you both are." I rubbed my lips together as tears started to slip down my cheeks. "She was the best friend I'd ever had. And she loved that goofy, slob of a red-head like I'd never seen before. There were no ups and downs with them. They were too good together, I guess. Do you know about how they died?"

"Not really," she sniffled. "My mum wasn't at Hogwarts when it happened."

"Well, they had saved me and we'd just gotten back to the castle. There was a death eater coming towards us and we didn't know what to do, but Ron disarmed her and we were able to get away. They didn't like that he'd made a fool of one of them, so they dragged him up to the front of the Great Hall and were about to use the Torture Curse on him, but Lucy stepped forward and told them to stop tormenting us. She was the shyest girl I'd ever met sometimes, but she yelled at them like a Gryffindor when they were gonna hurt Ron. Alecto cast the Killing Curse and that was it and there was this really long silence and it felt like the whole world stopped moving until Ron yelled and the first real battle of Hogwarts had begun. I left, but your aunt Ginny told me that she tried to get Ron to leave, but he wouldn't stop fighting. Nearly everyone else had surrendered, but he wanted every last one of those death eaters dead."

Cindy wiped her face with her sleeve, but I was crying too. Nobody at the palace knew about Lucy. For years nobody got it, so how could I really let it in when I was all alone? But now I put my arm around Cindy and she leaned her head against me and we remembered them together.