★ Twenty-Three ★

^^ unrelated but this is pretty much exactly how i imagine gerard in this fic, because he actually looks fuhking young and it fits his whole a e s t h e t i c. anyway i've had this chapter planned forever i'm so excited it feels wild to actually be writing this far in. ((barely edited, as always, xox.))

----

Gerard's sobs were racking through the phoneline as Frank couldn't keep the grin off his face. "I did it, I did it!" Gerard kept cheering. "Oh my god, I can't believe it."

"You did it!" Frank replied happily.

"And it's a full scholarship too--" Gerard added, sniffling. "Like, living and academics. It's-- oh my god."

"I'm so proud of you, baby," Frank replied. "SVA won't be able to handle you. You're gonna blow them all out of the water."

"Shut up," Gerard said through a teary chuckle, still in disbelief. "Oh my god. Oh my fucking god."

"I love you." Frank said.

"You too." Gerard replied, Frank's heart warming -- despite knowing that Gerard couldn't return it fully over the phone with his family home.

And as Gerard finally stopped rambling of his excitement for the school year to come -- he hung up with a never-ending grin, his heart thumping like a nine-volt battery about to explode.

☆☆☆

The next night, Gerard was invited for dinner at the Iero's once more -- finding themselves seated around the table with wedding soup in their bowls. "This is delicious, Mrs. Iero." Gerard complimented.

"Thanks, it's canned." She replied.

All went silent for a few moments, Gerard jiggling his knee until Mr. Iero spoke up. "So, Gerard... Frank's told me that you've gotten accepted into SVA?"

Instantly, Gerard lit up, glancing shortly at Frank before nodding. "Yeah, the letter came in yesterday. I got a full scholarship."

"That's amazing!" Linda chimed in, beaming proudly.

"Thank you." Gerard said through an humbled blush.

"You know, I believe I've already told you this, but my sister went there." Frank Sr. said, to which Gerard nodded. "I'm sure you two would hit it of, she's a fashion designer up in New York, as well."

"That's cool." Gerard replied, nodding through a bite of soup.

"Y'know Gerard," Linda said, the mentioned glancing at her through a hum. "We're actually having a family reunion this upcoming Saturday, up in New York."

Frank's eyes widened as he spluttered on his soup. Oh my god, were they inviting Gerard to meet all the extended family, without asking Frank first? Everyone turned to him as he flushed. "Um, it was hot."

Linda hummed suspiciously, turning back to Gerard with a smile. "Maybe you'd like to come?" She offered, Gerard's eyes widening as well. "You can say no, of course, but we just thought that maybe you'd like to meet the family."

"Uh." Gerard said, turning to Frank for help.

"You can't just drop that on him, Mom." Frank said, Gerard biting on his lip awkwardly.

"I'm sorry, I just thought I'd offer!" She defended, throwing a hand up.

Gerard hesitated, watching Frank as he thought. Frank only shrugged, to which Gerard took a deep breath, turning to Linda. "I think that sounds lovely."