★ Twenty-Seven ★

i apologize in advance for this. i'm crying too, it's alright. *hugs u all, pat pat* ((barely edited.))

----

Everything seemed to be going perfectly for our two protagonists.

Frank was grinning, still proud beyond belief for Gerard coming out to even more people, even if it was days later.

The scent of summer wafted through the halls of Belleville as May drew to an end, drawing the curtains shut on such a wild year as June approached -- bringing Frank and Gerard closer and closer to graduation.

Prom was nearing sooner and sooner, Frank still racking and stressing of both the bet, and how to ask Gerard to attend with him. Currently, Gerard stood beside his locker -- the final bell of the day having rung as Frank actually organized his backpack for once, the two making short conversation.

"So," Gerard said. "Almost time to graduate."

"Yep," Frank replied. "It's surreal, to be honest... I'm not sure how to feel."

"I'm excited, but for once, actually kinda feel like I'm gonna miss this place..." Gerard said, nodding and holding the straps of his bag.

"I never thought that I'd be sad to leave this shithole, but here I am." Frank chuckled, glancing over as Ray and Bob approached -- and his throat quickly dried. "Oh, um-- hey, guys."

"What's up?" Bob asked casually.

"Not much, not much..." Frank replied, chest clenching with nerves -- eyes trained on his bag as he prayed that, for once, Bob would keep his damned mouth shut.

His heart stopped though, and sunk to the fucking crack of his ass, as Bob spoke once more, though. "How's the bet coming? You've only got, like, three weeks left, man."

Frank took a moment too long staring blankly at his bag -- Gerard knitting his eyebrows together as he titled his head curiously, smiling in confusion. "What bet?"

"Oh my god, has he not told you?" Bob asked, laughing loudly as Frank's hands trembled -- biting harshly down on his tongue as his chest felt like it was going to rip in two.

"No... he hasn't." Gerard replied, turning to Frank and raising an eyebrow, not noticing Ray's silent, deep frown from the sidelines -- an icky feeling in his gut knowing that something not-so-great was bound to happen.

"Holy shit," Bob guffawed. "Yeah, man, he's gotta get a girlfriend by the end of school, or he's gonna have to fuckin' jump in the lake covered in shaving cream."

Frank's heart cracked in half as he turned slowly to Gerard -- who's face had fallen into one of betrayal, not bothering to compose himself as his confused eyes met Frank's anxious ones. "W--what?"

Frank awkwardly scratched at his neck, bringing his eyes away ashamedly as Bob continued all-too-casually. "Yeah, we set him up on a date to try and help him, but Jamia apparently 'wasn't his type.' At this point, it's like he's trying to lose."

Gerard's expression darkened then, into something sour as his own heart sunk even further into the pits of his belly -- chest frothing and boiling as all his suspicions that he'd brushed away before came flying back up to the forefront, and he frowned.

Frank spoke quietly, just barely keeping his voice from wavering. "Y--yeah, I'm still working on it... I'll figure it out."

Bob only laughed, rolling his eyes and sending an oblivious glance to Gerard. "Okay, sure. Good luck."