★ Twenty-Nine ★

this chapter is so fucking cliché and unrealistic, but this fic is literally the epitome of 'teenage coming of age movie' soooo. this writing has been terrible and this fic deserves so much better, i'm sorry :"( ((barely barely barely edited))

----

Frank was sat in the bleachers as prom unfurled all around him, purple streamers delicately hung across the gym and music playing as one of the teachers played the role of DJ. He was alone, chin rested in his palms through the dim lighting of the room -- watching as Jamia and Nick laughed away, dancing together.

He, of course, couldn't blame Jamia for wishing to enjoy prom with her boyfriend -- but a little selfish part of him wished that she'd come wallow with him. To maybe at least have some company. His previous hopes of making things up to Gerard had fizzled away, and he simply sighed, sipping on his glass of punch as if he were a man in his thirties living alone. He suspected he wasn't far off, though.

He glanced over as he spotted Lindsey walking up the bleachers, sitting beside Frank wordlessly -- both pursing their lips. Frank still didn't know her very well, but knowing that she was Gerard's best friend worried him -- in case she was here to give him a bit of a talking for breaking his heart.

"Hey..." She started quietly, glancing over.

"Hey." Frank replied, an awkward silence falling thick between them.

Lindsey was quick to end it, though. "So, you and Gerard..."

"I don't think there is a 'me and Gerard' anymore." Frank sighed, sipping on his drink.

"Why do you think that?" She asked.

"He hates me." Frank sighed once more, shrugging lamely like the pathetic person he was.

"Frank, he could never hate you." Lindsey said quietly, still watching Frank's expression.

"How do you know that?"

"He told me himself." Lindsey admitted, Frank finally turning to her.

"What?" He asked.

"He told me that... he loves you so much that he could never bring himself to hate you," She said, messing with her nails. "He misses you. A lot."

"He-- he does?" Frank asked once more, eyes widening slightly.

"Of course he does," Lindsey answered. "He won't stop telling me how much he misses you."

"Oh." Frank said quietly, falling silent until Lindsey sighed and broke it once more.

"He's really sorry about what he did, you know," She continued, biting her lips. "He didn't give you a chance, and he knows that.

Frank didn't respond, staying silent.

"Look, I know that he's not here right now, but I guess what I'm trying to say, is that he still loves you.

Once again, Frank's lips were shut -- only staring sadly at his feet, gulping thickly.

Lindsey sighed. "Okay, well... I really hope that you two are able to figure this out. I was really rooting for you, you know? I really thought that you were finally the one for him," She said, sighing deeply once more. "But at this point? I'm not so sure anymore."

Frank was hit straight in the gut, blinking as Lindsey finally stood.

"Good luck, Frank." Was all she said, leaving as Frank was left with a constricting throat and a sick feeling in his tummy.