First Date

The Interview
"Dr. Sung, it seems you are soon going to complete your internship"
"Yes Sir"
"Do you know that in resident-ship you have visit general wards too?"
"Yes sir, I know and that's what piques my interest more"
"Glad to hear that, since you have answered the internal medicine related questions before I am going to shortlist you for this post"
Jia was amazed, did she really crack the first step of the interview just now?
"Oh thank you so much Sir, thanks a lot", said an overwhelmed Jia.
"Nothing to thanks. You still have the final round left. Wait with other candidates outside. You will have practical rounds"
"Yes sir, thank you", Jia left the room after acknowledging Dr. Sang-hoon.

Jia's classmate, Lee Ara, was also shortlisted and was sitting with others in the area outside Dr. Sang Hoon's office.
"What's your result?", Ara asked
"Well, cleared the first round", Jia replied trying not to be too obvious about her happiness.
"Ah! Great!", Ara's response was more towards the milder side, not at all exciting.
Soon they were alloted single wards to check on patients dealing more with internal medicine and less with dentistry.

Room no. 9, 7th floor
Jia was allotted a room with a female patient who has a medical history of blindness.
She was excited as well as nervous. Walking up with confidence she opened the door of room no. 9.
"Annyeonghaseo, I am Dr. Sung Jia, here to check up on your health, ma'am"
"Oh Dr., when will you discharge me from this hospital? I am tired of these medicines and treatment plans"
"Halmoni, stop nagging, they will discharge you tomorrow. Till then, suck it up"
The voice sounds familiar.
Yes, she guessed it right. It's Han Ji Pyeong...again!!
"Hello, Jia-ssi, as we almost know each other, may I call you 'Jia-ssi'?" Ji Pyeong smiled looking at Jia's shocked but pretty face.
"Umm...well..umm..", Jia was stuttering.
"Do you know her, Good boy?"
"Yes, halmoni, she is a promising budding dentist"
Jia finally smiled, more out of courtesy, less out of 'feel-good' words.
"Halmoni, one minute let me check your vitals", Jia started examining Halmoni without wasting any more time in the conversation.
Halmoni cooperated with her like a good kid.
"You like my Good Boy?", Halmoni asked Jia in a teasing tone.
"Aani, I don't know him that well... I mean..ummm"
"Halmoni, you are making her uncomfortable", Ji Pyeong tried to mend the situation, and added, "Jia-ssi, don't mind her words, you carry on with your work"
Jia continued after acknowledging him.
Halmoni knew what was going on in Ji Pyeong's mind, nobody knew him better than her.
After Jia was done with her analysis, she left the room.
"Ji Pyeong-ah, don't repeat the same mistake again", Said Halmoni in a requesting tone.
"Aani, what mistake?"
"Go after what you want, don't stand still and wait for fate to help you. Ok?"
Ji Pyeong kept quiet. Past one year was really difficult for him. Has he not hesitated for those by-gone years, who knows, the reality could have been different.
His phone rang. Dr. Sang-hoon was calling.
"Mr. Han ji pyeong, you were right. She is really good at her craft. The precision with which she wrote all the findings of Ms. Choi, is one of the bests among her competitors"
"Well, I just guessed and nothing else. I am glad you gave her the opportunity", Ji Pyeong replied with a big, proud smile.
Yes, he was proud for someone whom he knows only a day old.

Soon the results were announced, 3 candidates from Jia's college were selected and 2 from other colleges. Jia was one among them.
When her phone beeped and the message appeared
"Congratulations! You have been selected for the post of Junior Resident in Hankuk Hospital and Research Centre for the batch of 2021-2022. Your joining starts from 7th March 2021.
Thanks and regards
H.R. Department
Hankuk Hospital and Research Centre
Seoul"
A drop of tear fell on her phone screen. From the day her parents passed away, her world has completely changed. The text message was like a breath of fresh air in this dire times.
"Hey, you got through?", Ara asked
"Hmm, I did", hearing Jia's tone Ara was confused whether she was happy or sad.

On the way out she saw a similar figure walking towards the exit. 4 hours went by and this man was still here. Jia ran towards him, without thinking much, she called him out.
"Mr. Han Ji Pyeong!"
Ji Pyeong turned back.
"Oh.. Jia-ssi.. you are still here, I thought you left"
"I thought the same about you. Visiting hours are over and you are still here.", Asked Jia, there was a confidence in her voice.
"I was in a meeting with a friend of mine. He is a doctor here. Did you eat?"
"Well..hmm...yeah...", Jia was having second thoughts as she skipped her breakfast for the interview.
"I don't think so, you look pale. Come let's eat something, I know a good place nearby", Ji Pyeong saw through her.
Nothing more desperate than a hungry stomach in this world, so letting go of her second thoughts Jia followed him to the car.

Ji Pyeong opened the car door for her like a gentleman and let her in.
"Well, thank you for the food, I don't know why I'm saying this, but I skipped my breakfast today so I am damn hungry.", regretting her words as soon as she said them

Jia turned her head away from Ji Pyeong.
"Haha... It's okay. It shows on your face. Eat as much as you can, and congratulations on your selection", he said with a big smile on his face making his dimples prominent.
"Selection? How did you know I got selected?"
"Well...I guessed it...", he smiled again.

", he smiled again

The table was set. Ji Pyeong ordered steaks for both of them and some side dishes.
"Don't think too much, my doctor friend told me that you got selected. You were the one who checked upon halmoni, that's why he told me and nothing more than that", Ji Pyeong assured Jia.
"Oh. Thank God! I thought you stalked me", and she laughed.
In these 10 days this was the first time she laughed.
Ji Pyeong gave her his plate where he cut the steak into bite size pieces and said, "It feels good to have lunch with someone. Thank you for accompanying me".
Jia's phone rang, it's Eunji.
"Hello, Eunji-ah, I got selected in the interview", her happiness was clear in her voice.
"Unnie, I am stuck near the hill behind our school, my phone's battery is dying. I don't know what to do", she wailed.
"What? Are you ok? Eunji-ah", Jia's hands were shaking. She looked towards Ji Pyeong, her eyes were turning red. Without wasting a minute they almost ran towards his car.

Hello guys! If you like this please vote, comment and share.