Chapter 27:

"Well, Jessa, you want to boogie down with me?" Ron asked sweetly as he held his hand out to me. I hesitantly placed my hand in his and looked back at Cam, who was happily ignoring me. Sucking down his beer was more important than acknowledging his best friend.

"Don't worry. I'll keep Nash busy while you two are gone." Kelly said, pushing her breasts against his side and running her hands through his hair.

I was ready to cry when he didn't move to push her away from him.

"Sure." I said, looking away from Cameron. I couldn't risk letting him see me get upset if he happened to actually look at me. He would think I was spiraling again. It would be embarrassing to admit that I was upset because he let me dance with another guy and was more interested in the girl he was sitting next to than the girl he came here with.

Ron wrapped his hand tightly around mine and started pulling me to my feet.

Ron lifted his arm over our heads and twirled me all the way out to the dance floor. My frown had changed to a smile by the time he sashayed us to the middle of the other couples dancing. Ron was a mood all by himself. His extreme goofiness was contagious. It was more than enough for me to try to quell the dark emotions trying to bubble up inside my head.

Ron spun me around so that my back was pressed against his chest. He wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me into him moving side to side. I was a little nervous at first, but my body took over. It started moving against him without asking my head's permission. I placed my hands on his and swayed against him, following his lead.

Within a few minutes, Patrice, Julian, Alexis, and Felix were all out there with us letting loose. Alexis was holding her bump like she was afraid the baby would fall out on the dance floor. She ended up conning Patrice and me into doing the pregnant lady dance with her. We had to look ridiculous to anyone who did not know what we were doing.

Patrice, Alexis, and I were laughing and talking in a circle while the boys were all dancing behind us. They were asking me a lot of questions about myself, which I was expertly trying to dodge. Only women tried to pry so deep into each other's lives like this when they first met you.

I wasn't used to being around a lot of females in general, to be honest. Most of the time, they hated me for the things they heard about me. I had gained a lot of notoriety in high school because of false accusations and whispers. Most of the rumors weren't true. At some point in time, I just got tired of fighting with them and began to shut myself off.

There was a particular instance when this girl who thought she was bad walked up to me in the hallway in front of everyone. She started calling me a whore. I just smiled at her as she ran through the list of every rumor she had ever heard about me. When she was finished, I laughed and told her that her Dad and two brothers gave me better dick than her boyfriend did. She slapped me across the face and ran down the hall, crying.

I had no remorse for what I said. She was being a bitch. The only thing I felt bad about was when Cam took me into the boy's bathroom afterward. He lectured me for over an hour about how I wasn't helping myself when I said those things. He told me I was feeding into the gossip. It was hard to pay attention to him in the small space. Behind him, written in sharpie on the bathroom stall, was a message that said, "Jessa Miller sucked my dick." Below it there were a hundred names of guys I didn't know, all claiming I went down on them. It was official; I had been branded as the school slut.

Ron was a little handsy by nature, which broke me out of my troubled memories. He slid his hands lower on my hips when I danced against him. He was keeping it strictly PG-13 on the dance floor, besides the wandering fingers, which was completely fine by me. There was no way I was going to go home with him. There was only one person I wanted to be with right now and it wasn't Ron.