Chapter 32:

"What's the plan?" I asked as we walked towards his truck.

"Well, you said dinner and a movie... so I reserved us a spot at the Dine and Drive-In."  He said nervously.  "Is that ok?" 

"Sounds really nice."  I was buzzing on the inside. My body had been fighting against my meds and the excitement was starting to make me feel spastic.  I had to keep fighting against myself to try to stay level.  I had to do this for Cam; he deserved a girl who wasn't such a disaster.

Cam reached out and opened the truck door for me. I kissed him quickly on his cheek before attempting to climb in.  He placed his hand on the small of my back to help me up.

Cam shut my door softly and then ran around to the driver's side.  He climbed in and the engine roared to life when he turned the key. We began driving down the dark road.  Cam was too quiet and I couldn't find any words to help break the silence.  It was a little uncomfortable for absolutely no reason at all.

Ten minutes in and this was already more awkward than I planned.  I wondered if he was feeling the strangeness too.

Cam drove through the gate of the drive-in and found us a perfect spot near the back. The attendant came to the window and passed us a menu.  I looked over it, trying to be a budget-conscious date.  I didn't have a ton of money on me and we never really discussed the whole paying for things part. If he did pay for it, I didn't want to break the bank.

"Jess, order anything you want. Tonight's on me, darling."  He must have sensed my frustration at making a decision. 

"You know you're going to regret saying that, right?" I said with a greedy smile on my face.

"If it makes you smile like that, then it's worth it." Cam said smoothly.

He was too good. My insides were already tingling just from the compliment alone.

I ended up ordering enough food to feed a small army and then added a chocolate milkshake at the last second. I couldn't wait to see the look on his face when he got the bill.

Cam laughed at me when the lady had to come back twice with our food because what I ordered wouldn't fit on one tray.  We sat there gobbling down the delicious overpriced fried foods while laughing about what did or did not taste good with mustard. The previews popped up on the screen and I started bagging up the empty trash and napkins from our meal.  He took the bag from my hands and threw it behind the seat on the floor to get rid of the distraction.

I sat next to him with my hands on my lap, tapping my fingers nervously when the movie started.  I laughed when I saw he brought me to watch a movie about Superheroes saving the world.  I was in for a triple feature that included guys in spandex suits running from mutated robots.  

"Sorry, this was the only thing I could get tickets for."  He said, blushing as the robots ran across the screen.

"It's fine, Cameron.  I like a little action." I said and covered my mouth in horror. I began blushing when I immediately started thinking dirty thoughts about him.  Why did my mind always have to go to the wrong places?

Cam constantly shifted for two and a half hours.  The leather truck seats gave his movements away every time.  The poor guy looked like he wasn't sure how to watch a movie with a girl next to him.  I kept hoping he would make the first move and at least wrap his arm around me. He never did. We sat on the couch at his place watching reruns of sitcoms together and he would touch me more than this.  Were we going to really watch three whole movies without even holding hands?

Ten minutes into the second movie, I decided I was over the strangeness and I was going to help him out a little bit. I shifted across the seat closer to him.  I was glad we weren't in my car; his truck had a lot more room to stretch out.  Not to mention the bench seat made it easier to sit next to him.