cake

My mom was a perfectionist and at times, it really scared me

My mom was a perfectionist and at times, it really scared me. My dad would tell me stories of her being an absolute Bridezilla during their wedding preparations and this creature in her showed itself every year during this time of year. My mother's need to have every completely perfect was understandable. Hell, I was the same way. But I'm starting to regret flying over for their anniversary in the first place. The way she was barking orders at us, the workers, and even my father, was absolutely frightening, to say the least. Even poor Hunter looked scared out of his mind.

"And I thought Nessa was scary," my brother muttered as my mom threw a tantrum over my brother's tux being a different shade of "black". 

Since when were there different shades of black?! 

Nessa threw a glare at her fiance and he quickly quieted down. My mother practically dragged Andrew to our family stylist's direction. I was really hoping she wouldn't get mad at my dress not being the desired "texture". Who knew what this woman could complain about?

My usual angelic and graceful mother looked as if she was losing time by the second. She was making me feel anxious. 

"Hunter, Aria, you two are going to get the cake. Nessa, I need you to assist Drew and make sure his suit corresponds with your dress," my mom sighed.

On a regular occasion, I would have talked back, complaining about now wanting to be alone with Hunter. But before I could even say anything, my mom sent all of us glares. Sighing, I nodded at Hunter, gesturing for him to follow me. Walking into the garage with Hunter a few steps behind me, I surveyed my parent's car collection. My eyes stopped at the Black Mercedes Benz that my dad had gotten my mom during their last anniversary. Grabbing the keys, I unlocked the car and started the ignition.

"Hello, earth to Aria? You haven't even looked at me this whole time. Please don't kill me," Hunter frowned, though I could see the amusement in his crystal blue eyes. 

"Hunter, are you scared of my mother?" he nodded, "well, I've inherited the same amount of anger, do not cross me," I mumbled, driving out of the garage.

"Noted," he said quietly, still looking at me curiously. 

The cake place that my mom had ordered the cake from was a good half an hour drive from our house. The car ride was spent listening to the radio and humming any familiar tunes. Hunter stayed silent and while I would have appreciated his silence a few weeks ago, I now found it unbearable to sit without talking. 

"So, what type of cake is it?" Hunter asked, breaking the dreadful silence. I silently thanked him in my head.

"Hmm, I know it's a red velvet cake because that's my dad's favorite and my mom just loves the color red. She thinks it's romantic. Besides that, I have no idea," I informed him. He nodded at my answer and the silence that had surrounded us before had returned. 

After another ten minutes, we had arrived at our designated location. We walked out of the car and into the cake shop, with Hunter right behind me. Right as we entered, I had wished we had remembered to bring sunglasses or a hat that could have acted as a disguise. I looked to my right to see Hunter also seeming to have wished he had done the same. 

I noticed people who were sitting in the cake shop waiting for their cakes had started to stare at us. No doubt, by the time we had to leave the store, there would be a crowd of paparazzi. Sending a small smile to the people who were staring in disbelief, I walked to the register.

"Hi I'm A-", I began.

"Aria Brooks," the girl behind the register practically squealed. Realizing what she had, almost a second later, her eyes widened, "oh my gosh, I am so sorry for interrupting you", she rushed out an apology.

"Don't worry about it, we were just here to pick up the cake my mom had ordered."

"Janella Brooks?", I nodded. "Great, okay, you can take a seat at one of the booths, we will bring the cake out in a little."

Hunter and I sat down at the booth which was in the corner of the shop, that way, the paps that had already arrived outside would have a harder time getting any pictures.

"Regret coming with me now?" I asked, mildly hinting at the fact that his so-called break had to be spent helping with party preparations and enduring paparazzi. 

"I'm having a wonderful time Aria, now stop frowning," his deep voice assured me. My breath hitched at him saying my name.

Gosh, what the hell is wrong with me? Why am I acting like this around him?

"Okay, this silence is so annoying, could you maybe stop staring and like actually speak to me?" he smirked.

Rolling my eyes at his arrogant demeanor, I sighed, "Sure, what do you suggest? Twenty questions?"

"Oh come on, isn't that a game for dates? You wanna go on a date with me, Brooks?" he teased.

"Shut up! You're the one who suggested it!" I tried to hide my blush. Smiling at my embarrassment, he shook his head.

"Fine, I'll go first. What was your first impression of me?" he asked, placing both his hands on his chin.

"Arrogant douchebag," I muttered, to which he let out a laugh, "Okay but seriously, I thought you were annoying! You literally told me the dumbest pick-up line ever."

"I'm learning about the most important dates in history. Wanna be one of them?" he recalled. 

"I see nothing has changed," I mused.

Just as Hunter was about to open his mouth to reply, someone from the counter yelled, "Janella Brooks?"

Hopping up from my seat, I walked over to the counter. Having a brief chat with the lady who handed me the cake, I turned to look at Hunter, signaling for him to get up. He walked over to me and took the cake out of my hands, mumbling a small "thank you" to him, he led me over to the door.

"After you ma'am," he winked, opening the door with his free hand.

"Why thank you, sir," I laughed, before walking out of the shop. 

Just as I had expected, multiple flashes had gone off right as I exited the building. Hunter sighed. Grabbing my hand, he led me over to my car where I opened the trunk of the car. Realizing the cake was too big for the trunk, I opened the backseat door and Hunter placed the cake in one of the seats before putting a seatbelt over it.

Giggling at his mannerism, he grinned at me. After the cake had been properly situated, I walked over to the driver's side of the car and waiting for Hunter to enter before starting the ignition. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

all i can say is...ahhhhh!!!

vote, comment, and follow:)

thank you so so much for reading