ix.

"Is that the portrait for Sirius?" Lily asks as she walks past Cassiopeia and the canvas she's painting, having taken a glance to see a figure on it, without any definite features yet

"Quite right. Where are the others?" Cassiopeia asks as she dips her paint brush in the water to clean off the paint.

"Mary is with Fabian again. Marlene and Dorcas are doing what they do. The boys are up to no good as always." Lily hums, making Cassiopeia chuckle and shake her head.

"When do you think Marlene and Dorcas will stop being bloody fools?" Cassiopeia asks, making Lily shrug.

"I don't know. But hopefully soon. It's getting so stupid. Like they clearly like each other. I wonder what's stopping them." Lily admits, making Cassiopeia shrug as she backs away from the painting and frowns. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know. It's just. When I make a portrait I usually add a personal detail to it, you know. Like Dorcas has the chess piece, you had the prefect badge. You know? But I don't know Sirius well enough to do that and it feels weird to not add a personal touch." She huffs in slight frustration, making Lily smile softly, before she gets an idea.

"Add a black dog." Lily says, making Cassiopeia look at her in confusion.

"A... what? A black dog? Why a black dog? That's oddly specific." Cassiopeia says, making Lily sigh.

"The star Sirius, is also called dog-star. So Dog, to represent his name and make it a black dog, because Sirius Black." Lily explains, knowing well enough that that's not the real reason she suggested that idea.

"Oh. You know what. That's a great idea. You're a bloody genius, Evans." Cassiopeia smiles happily as she returns to her painting.

"I try sometimes." Lily giggles as she looks up at the ceiling, a comfortable silence settling between them. "Did you go visit Andromeda last weekend?"

"Yup." She answers, not fully paying attention as she focuses on the painting.

"Have you told her about meeting Sirius?" Lily asks and Cassiopeia snickers at the memory.

"Oh, yeah. She was so happy. It was kind of funny. She even suggested inviting him over for dinner one day." Cassiopeia muses, making Lily chuckle softly.

"Sounds like her. Have you told Sirius about Andromeda?" Lily asks and Cassiopeia takes a deep breath.

"No. I don't know how to tell him. I really don't feel like someone pitying me. Having to explain why I'm living with his disowned cousin, her husband and daughter." Cassiopeia admits, making Lily at her.

"Must I remind you that we're talking about Sirius Black? I think from all of us, he's the one who'll truly understand what it's like to have terrible family past." Lily points out, making Cassiopeia sigh and shrug. "Are you feeling better about it, I mean... does it still hurt much?"

"Yeah. It does, I don't think it'll ever not hurt." Cassiopeia admits as she starts working on the dog, that will be sitting at Sirius' feet.

"Why don't you come to us anymore about it?" Lily asks softly, making Cassiopeia sigh and shrug.

"Because as much as I love you guys, it doesn't really change much." Cassiopeia says honestly and Lily gives her a look.

"Maybe. But at least we're there to comfort you." Lily hums and Cassiopeia smiles weakly as she keeps her focus on the painting. "I really hate when you push us out."

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just, I don't want you to worry about me." Cassiopeia says.

"You're my best friend. If you don't come to me about your struggles, I'll worry even more." Lily points out and Cassiopeia lets outs a breath. She's about to say something, but the sound of footsteps stops her.

"There you guys are. I was looking for you." Marlene smiles as she walks up to Lily, smiling at Cassiopeia.

"Cassie is just finishing up Sirius' painting." Lily informs the blonde, who looks at Cassiopeia in excitement.

"Oh! How close to finishing are you?" Marlene asks, making Cassiopeia look at how far she got.

"Not much longer. Give me an hour or two maybe." Cassiopeia hums, making Marlene grin.

"I can't wait for him to see the finishing result. It's going to be amazing. Are you going to reveal it in front of everyone or with just him alone?" Marlene asks and Cassiopeia shrugs.

"With just him alone. I don't want him to hate it and have everyone see it. That's just extremely embarrassing." Cassiopeia says nervously and Lily shakes her head.

"I understand that. But he can't hate it. You're an amazing artist, Cassie. And if he can't see that, he isn't worth it." Lily hums, making Marlene nod in agreement and Cassiopeia chuckles as she shakes her head.