Prologue

"The sun will shine on us again, brother."

Odette softly whispered to the young toddler seated beside her. They sat underneath the tree of Emerald Palace, also known as the Princess' home. She was with her half-brother, Claude de Alger Obelia. They always had their early mornings like this, in the gardens of the palace and simply chatting. Claude was sleeping soundly beside her, with his head on her shoulders.

The princess was only five years old, yet she held so much poise and grace at her age. She spoke eloquently and held a high regard for herself. There was no doubt that she was mature for age. All the servants of the Emerald Palace absolutely adored her. Odette treated them with kindness and respect, which was quite the opposite of what her older brother did.

Her older brother, Anastasius de Alger Obelia, was quite the opposite of Odette.

Anastasius was older than Odette by three years, giving them a bit of an age gap. Nonetheless, Odette always proved that her and Anastasius were on the same level. Much like her older brother, Odette also held a talent for controlling her mana. Some even say that the princess was much better than Anastasius.

Despite this, Anastasius and Odette were always close. Much like best friends, or so they say. Anastasius, being the older and naughty one. Odette, being the younger and nice one. They were two peas in a pod, really. The princess, however, was always the one looking out for her older brother. Anastasius was prone to accidents, and there were times wherein Odette needed to help him.

They got along fairly well. Both the prince and princess agreed with everything and anything.

Except for one thing, that is.

"Why do you keep saying that to him, Odette?" A voice interrupted Odette and Claude's afternoon.

The five-year old simply smiled at her older brother. "Mother always used to say that to me, too. Before I went to sleep, she'd whisper it to me."

Anastasius rolled his eyes. He didn't despise Claude; well, not really. His mother just talked about Claude in a bad way. She always told Anastasius to never get attached to Claude, because he had a commoner for a mother.

"That's rubbish." Eight-year old Anastasius simply rolled his eyes. "I don't see the point in telling him. He's not even family."

Odette instantly pulled the three-year old close to her. "Don't say that! He's our brother. He's family, Anastasius."

"He's not. He came from a different mother."

Odette, being the child she is, simply snuck out her tongue. Then, she looked at Claude. She couldn't help but smile. He looked so peaceful as he slept. Odette wanted to protect him and be the best sister for him.

"You're just jealous because I love Claude more than you!"

Anastasius just ignored her. "Let's go back. We still need to get ready for his ceremony."

Odette's eyes widened. She almost forgot that it was Claude's ceremony today. Rather, it was his third birthday. And third birthdays were a big deal in Obelia. They always had an extravagant celebration, wherein the toddler will test out his luck for the future.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot." She looked back at Claude with a smile. Odette didn't want to wake him up. She figured that she'd call for his head maid. "Miss Robane?"

Within a minute or two, a beautiful lady showed up beside Anastasius. Her reddish-brown hair was tied in a neat bun and she smiled at them lovingly. She was always a positive and outgoing maid that treated Claude like her own son.