Chapter 54

Brittany's POV

I was putting on a clean pair of clothes when Rhea rushed into the room like she had just heard that everyone on earth had been ordered to move to Mars. She rushed into the room shouting my name at the top of her voice.

"Britt! Britt!" She yelled.

"I'm here, sheesh". I said, curious to know what got her all riled up.

"He- he..." She said.

I immediately knew she was referring to Cole.

"What happened to him?" I asked, alarmed as I quickly put on a T-shirt.

"He's been calling your name, I think he's gonna open his eyes soon". She said.

With a new surge of energy, I sped out of the room, ignoring the fact that my feet were bare and my hair was still dripping wet.

Immediately I got to where Cole was, I collapsed beside him, gripping his hand tightly but still in the most gentle way I could muster.

I realized he was stirring awake. He was still muttering my name so I responded.

"I'm here, Cole, I'm here". I said, smiling as tears filled my eyes.

Words couldn't describe the emotions that coursed through me when Cole suddenly woke up and pulled me close to him, hugging me tightly.

He used his hands to untangle my messy wet hair, making me chuckle.

"I missed you". I whispered.

"Durh". He said, making me chuckle again. His voice was very gruff, probably because he had been unconscious for so long.

"I think your victory over your pure blood added more... What's the word?" I said, not knowing the right word to use.

"Skunk?" He suggested.

"Yeah, something like that". I agreed.

"I won't deny I'm feeling more in charge now that I can control that pure blood". He said after we finally pulled away.

"You know, I heard your voice while I was battling my pureblood... I heard you all. It's part of the reasons why I'm awake now". He said.

I remained silent, too overjoyed to say anything.

"Cole!" I heard Rhea squeal as she jumped into his already open arms in delight.

Rhea ruffled Cole's hair and said

"Don't you ever scare me like that again". She said and wiped off a stray tear that was rolling down her cheek.

Cole grinned and ruffled her hair too.

I noticed that Cole had stopped messing with Rhea. He was staring at the entrance of the room. He looked like he was at loss for words.

He was staring at Thana, who was resting lazily on the door. She rolled her eyes at his reaction.

"You're still here". He stated after clearing his throat.

"Looks like I'm the only one who didn't get a hug". She said, walking towards us.

Cole smiled at her and pulled her into a brief hug.

"I'm just surprised you didn't leave". Cole said, after they broke the hug.

"I wasn't going to give up the chance of making that old bastard pay for everything he did". She said.

"Oh, that's right. I owe you an apology. I'm so sorry for all you went through after I did what I did. Also, thank you. Thanks for everything, Thana. You've helped me a lot despite everything". He said.

Thana chuckled nervously, clearly uncomfortable with Cole's apology and appreciation speech.

"Your apology sounds sincere enough". She said, smiling at him.

"I'm really happy about the mood in here and everything but I think Dexter has a plan B that might ruin everything for us. I've been trying to figure out what he's up to and found a few things". Thana spoke up.

Everyone focused their attention on her, waiting eagerly for her to continue.

"We need to discuss this somewhere more... Private". She said, looking around cautiously.

"Cole, you aren't feeling weak or anything like that, right?" I asked.

"I'm feeling just fine". He said, flashing me a smile that made my stomach flutter.

We all went back to Cole's room since its walls were soundproof.

Thana started talking about the information that she had gathered.

"I think he has about five men stationed in this house as workers... Those men are somewhere waiting for his next instruction. I think one of the five men is one of the men in charge of the dungeon wing where Dexter's been detained. There are ten men in charge of watching over that wing, five for each shift. Dismissing all of them wouldn't be a good idea because we've been short of men since the last confrontation with Dexter's men". Thana explained.

I gawked at her as she explained the information she had gathered while I had been sitting with Cole's unconscious body all day long.

"So you're saying that Dexter's still scheming his evil plan while in cell?" Cole asked, bewildered.

"I've known this man my whole life. He isn't going to stop just because you have him detained in a dungeon. He's very crafty so he's always one step ahead". Thana said.

"Oh, do you remember your dad saying something about Dexter making sure I don't become Cole's beloved?" I asked Rhea.

She stayed silent for a moment trying to recall when he had said that. She finally nodded when it clicked.

"You becoming Cole's beloved means you climbing up the ladder of leadership all the way to the top which would be a nightmare for Dexter so he's trying to kill you". Rhea mused.

"Why does he want to kill you all if I'm the one he's after?" I questioned.

"Maybe because we all have wronged him one way or the other and the fact that we're aiding you is pretty much a good reason for him to be after our lives". Thana said.

"What about the other four men? Do you know where they are assigned?" Cole asked.

"I know one's a cook, another one is part of the workers dealing with delivery of parcels and stuff... I haven't found out where the other two were assigned to but I'm suspecting they were employed recently". Thana said.

"Where is Malcolm?" Cole asked.

"He's out on official duty". Thana said.

"What official duty?" Cole asked curiously.

Thana had been keeping Malcolm's location secretive for the past few days so we were all eager to hear her response.

"He knows about my secret investigation on Dexter's plan B so he's keeping an eye on Dexter and the other three men we discovered". Thana explained.

"And how's he doing that?" Cole questioned.

"Malcolm's smart, I'm sure he came up with something genius". Thana said with a shrug.

"So what exactly is our next move?" I asked.

Everyone turned to look at Thana.

She just smirked and said

"Wait for Dexter to strike".

**
A/N:  Hey beautiful people!

I had a lot of things going on so I couldn't update... Anyway, I'm back so-

I hope y'all liked this chapter.

Y'all didn't think I was just going to let Cole die like that, did you?😏

The next chapter I'll be posting will be the last chapter of MVL! Are y'all ready?!

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!

Till next update.

Love y'all😘❤😘