Prologue

AN: Hear me out, I know the prologue isn't that good. Its litterly just a couple paragraphs of something I wrote at 3 am because I couldn't sleep and I got bored. But try to get past it or just move on to the first chapter because I promise its not as cringy and bad as this prologue. Thanks for even giving this a chance. Have a good day :)

_________________________________________

"Look, you know I promised I would come back weeks ago. Now it's time I really have to go, Will. I dont want to, you know that. But I have to" I said, turning to look at my best friend.

"I know." He sighed, looking down at his shoes.

I hated seeing Will like this, sad and in pain. I didn't want to leave him, trust me. Thats the last thing I want to do. But what choice did I have? It was my parents who made that decision in the first place.

Will is my best friend, and possibly crush so why would I want to hurt him? Answer is I don't and I wouldn't.

Like I said, I hated seeing him like this.

I watched the sun slowly start to dip behind the hills. The sky always looked so pretty at wills house. We would go up to this little a hill a couple minutes from his house and watch the sunset.

Even if this was the last time, for now, it always made me feel the same as it did the first time I watched it. That happened to be the same day I met Will. I had just moved here, had no friends. I saw him and Mike on the swings. They looked carefree and happy.

Sadly, I hadn't joined them that day. But when I ran away from home for a little while I had found Will on that hill, just watching the sun go down. Carefree. And we had become friends ever since.

I was always in awe of how beautiful the sky would tend to look from here. Not the regular blue, not cloudy, just beautiful like a picture as if it were the most priceless painting. But it wasn't always the sky here that I was in awe of. Will never failed to make me smile. He was my light in the darkness. 

Having problems seems to be a common factor in my life so having Will made it so much better. He made me laugh, he made me smile, and even when needed he made my cry. I had fallen in love with the most precious boy on earth.

I honestly wanted to kiss him before I left. It felt to cliché or dumb to do at my age but all my friends seemed more mature than even most high schoolers at the time. They were always acting dumb and being childish. The group we were though was a very intelligent group of kids. We may have been young but that doesn't mean we can't be bright.

But doing anything with Will in this vulnerable moment might mess things up, and I wanted anything but that. I slumped back onto the tree behind me and looked over to Will. "Im sorry" "Don't be, you can't help it. It wasn't your choice. I just don't know who I'm going to hang out with." I looked at him confused. I wasn't his only friend and he knew that. "What about the boys?" I asked.

"No..I meant like- nevermind." He pulled his knees to his chest and he looked so hurt. So pained. I felt a pang in my chest seeing him like this. Why did I have to go? Why is the world making me turn my back on my home, my friends...the best boy in the world?

It felt as if everything was caving in on me. As if my world was coming to a close. It wasn't though. And the more I thought about leaving, the more I wish it would.

I started to tear up. I tried to blink the tears away but they only slid down my face. It didn't take long till I had broken down, bringing my knees to my chest as well. Crying into my arms.

Will turned around and started to cry at the sight. Seeing his best friend who was usually good at hiding her emotions breaking down right in front of him wasn't the happiest sight to see. He crawled back and hugged me as we both cried.

After a little bit it had gotten dark. And I knew i would have to be getting home so we could leave early. I didn't just want to leave Will all alone like this but he looked so peaceful and at ease so I just pulled a blanket from my bag and covered him up as he slept.

I wrote a small note and layed It beside him. I kissed him on the head before turning to leave. I took one last look at everyone's house as I passed each one on my way back. I had already said my goodbyes to everyone else as to have the night with Will.

As I was getting back to my house I started to feel guilt for not saying goodbye in person to Will. But as I stepped inside I knew there was no going back now. I just hope the note was enough.

Dear Will,
I did not want to leave. And believe me this is the least fun thing I've ever had to do. I'm sorry for not saying goodbye face to face. You just looked so peaceful as you slept and I didn't want to make you cry again. I just wish I could've seen your smile one last time because I always loved it. Your so nice to everyone, including me and I never knew why. You deserve the world Will Byers. And once again I'm sorry for leaving. I wish I could stay. I hope you understand and I hope you continue to move on with everything without me. Have fun and keep the boys in line for me. Love you Byers.
           Love, your favorite out of this disaster of a group xo -y/n

P.s: I promise I'll come home someday, Byers. I always will for you.
You will see me again.