Memories

Okay, because I slightly changed the events earlier in the story, I made Ben die earlier than he originally had. So instead of dying at 16-17 he died at 13-14 because I am just stupid enough and arranged it like that...hope you don't mind too much, it just would be weird having him dead in one chapter and then having him alive in the other so...yeah. Sorry for this change. 

20th February 1999

A nine-year-old Scarlett was outside, surrounded by snow. Little white snowflakes falling from the heavy grey clouds that were above her. She shivered once the harsh wind got underneath her thin Academy coat. The dark blue fabric was the only thing that was covering her small form.

Her father forced her to stay out here, thinking that it would force her to use her powers. She maybe was practically freezing out here to her death but so was the fire inside her. She never understood it was always such a problem for her. 

The tips of her fingers were turning blue and she winced when another blow of the wind hit her fragile body. Her blond hair flying around being controlled by the harsh blow. Even if she hugged her arms around her petit form she was not able to give herself any source of warmth. 

Ready to break into tears she sunk down to the ground. Sitting on the snow-covered ground pulling her knees closer to her chest as she let out a sob. The sound of doors opening with a little crack pulled her out of her self pity. At first, she was expecting her father to yell at her for not training but when she heard a voice calling her name she was sure it wasn't her cruel father. 

"Hey Red." A soft voice said approaching her from behind. "You shouldn't be sitting in the snow like that, you'll catch cold." Turning her blond head slightly she caught sight of Number Six. Otherwise known as Ben. One of her best friends in the whole wide world and also her adoptive brother. 

"I can't do this." She sighed defeated. Ben frowned slightly crouching down next to her and putting a blanket around her frozen form. Scarlett smiled gratefully at him. Feeling happy to finally feel some warmth. She was used to feeling hot, her body was always high on temperature that's why the sudden icy feeling enveloping her body wasn't particularly nice for her. And Ben knew it. 

He and Klaus have been watching over her through the window for good fifteen minutes before Ben decided to take the initiative and help the poor girl. He had a plan of how to get her inside. Stealing Klaus' lighter her planned on putting something on fire. 

"Yes, you can," Ben said standing up and pulling out a few torn pieces of paper that he tore from one of his notebooks just for his sister. Scarlett was watching him confused while he pulled out the lighter from the other pocket and sent the papers ablaze. 

He jumped slightly at the orange-red light coming from the flame. His eyes widened and he turned towards Scarlett. 

"What are you looking at take it." He said hurriedly thrusting it in Scarlett's hands. The girl chuckled slightly standing up and holding the burning papers in her hand so it looked like she had conjured fire. 

"Go hide." She instructed Ben who nodded, grabbing the blanket from her shoulders, and rushed to hide behind the gazebo. "Father! Father!" Scarlett yelled for her father who soon emerged from the door of the house. He looked the girl up and down. Skeptically eyeing the fire in her palm. 

"Very well Number Eight. You are free to go." Mr. Hargreeves reluctantly dismissed her. Hargreeves then got back inside the house. Scarlett threw the burning papers in the snow, putting them out instantly. 

Ben came out from his hiding immediately putting the blanket over her again. The two of them smiled at each other and Scarlett pulled him in a bone-crushing hug. Ben, too used to her hugs being warm and cuddly now got sudden shivers when her cold skin made contact with him. But he didn't pull away, if anything he only pulled her closer.