37.

My whole body tenses

My whole body tenses. I should've thought twice before opening the door. 

"Derek" I say with all the courage I have inside of me.

"So, she speaks" he says, with dark humour in his tone.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him coldly, trying not to show him how much he's creeping me out.

Most importantly, how does he know where my room is?

"I was hoping we could finish the talk we didn't get to finish in the park, Mila." he says, taking one step forward. 

I immediately take one back. He must've picked my name up this morning and found out where I live on campus.

"I'm not interested" I answer, covering my body with the door.

"Oh, but I am. And I'm certainly not used to pretty girls like you turning me down" Derek says, crossing his arms over his chest. 

I don't see how Derek is supposed to be popular with girls. He might be unattractive on the inside, but not on the outside. Yet, his scruffy exterior and his smell is uncomfortable in my eyes. Jace's voice pops up in my head, telling me that Derek is pretty dangerous, and my anxiety rises.

"There's a first for everything I guess" I say quietly, trying not to anger him. 

I don't know how to respond to that nicely.

"I guess" he repeats after me, taking a step into my room, standing right in front of me. 

My body tenses more than before, if that's even possible. 

"Nice room you have here" he says ironically, taking a look around, but then laying his eyes on me again.

His presence is making me uncomfortable. He's a huge guy, even taller than Jace. Him standing right in front of me is quite intimidating. My heart is pounding out of my chest. 

I slightly startle when Derek starts moving again. He leans his lower arm against the door so he can hover over me and brings his face really close to mine. I can feel his cigarette breath on my skin. I turn my face away from him, so I don't have to look him in the eyes.

"You do know I like the chase, right?" he says quietly. 

He disgusts me. What was his purpose of coming over here, just to tell me that? Just to intimidate me?

"Jace is going to be here any second" I let him know, hoping he'll leave once he has this piece of information.

"Jace" Derek laughs out loud. "You think I'm scared of him?" he adds, thankfully leaning himself up again.

"I know that you're dependent on him" I let slip out of my mouth, talking about his clearly visible drug addiction. 

Shit. Derek probably shouldn't know that Jace told me he sells drugs to him.