locked away

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲in which he's wrongfully convicted, but you're starting to lose hope

𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲
in which he's wrongfully convicted, but you're starting to lose hope.

word count: 2,472
tw: references to drugs

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

It had been a week since Spencer's arraignment – a week since you watched your friend's precious face fall at the words "Bail is denied." You and your team had high hopes that he would post bail and get to remain in civilization pending trial. Instead, all of your hearts were shattered as Spencer Reid's hands were forced behind his back, cuffed, and later used to shove him in the direction of his pretrial fate. As much as it hurt you to know he'd have to fend for himself in a lifestyle that was entirely unsuited for him, you felt a small sense of relief knowing he'd be in protective custody. Yet, that reassurance was stripped from you this morning in the round room, where Emily Prentiss revealed that Spencer was residing in general population.

"I don't want that to worry you all," Emily tagged onto the end of the dreadful statement, trying to ease the stress that the news inflicted on you and your colleagues. "There must've been a mix up in the paperwork, but we'll get it sorted out. For now, we have to work on the exoneration any free chance we get. Reid will survive, but it's our job to make sure he isn't there a day longer than he has to be."

There was a short silence in the room. You glanced around, knowing your paranoid look mimicked the ones of your teammates. Emily sighed, clearly wishing she didn't have to say what was coming next. "I hate to divert our resources, but we do have a case. It's local, though, which will help us."

You swallowed a lump in your throat, leaning slightly forward in your chair. "I was planning to go see him today," you piped up, grabbing everyone's attention. You weren't sure now if your request would be granted, but you didn't know what you would do if you waited any longer.

Emily bit her lip in thought. "Okay, that's fine," she gave in, much to your surprise. "But I need you back here as soon as possible." You furiously nodded, giving mumbled goodbye's to your team before heading for the door.

You sat uncomfortably in the prison's visitor's room, handing cautious side eyes to the people around you. Never in a million years did you think you'd be sitting here. Before your thoughts could spiral, an obnoxious metal door opened, revealing a decked out security guard. He lead a line of prisoners draped in dusty blue, filing them each to their corresponding visitor. You strained your line of sight to search for Spencer, and you noticed him towards the back of the group. When he saw you, his sullen face briefly enlightened, prompting a pep in his step. Once he reached your booth, he stretched his arms over the glass to hug you, but you were both reprimanded by the guard before you could lay a finger on him.