can't keep up

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐮𝐩in which he knows everything, except this

𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐮𝐩
in which he knows everything, except this.

REQUESTED BY @potatoesplaygamestoo

word count: 1,136

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          Although the job of being a profiler at the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit was often dark and unsettling, you were content with your ability to think of the workspace as a safe, happy place due to your teammates. You all frequently cracked jokes and told funny stories to lighten the mood, and today was no different.

You and the team were gathered early in the conference room waiting to be briefed for your next case. The last person to enter was Derek Morgan, snickering shamelessly. You had looked up from your case file to spot him, a smirk tugging at your lips when you noticed his subtle laughter. "What's up with you?" you toyed with him.

Derek found a seat across from you, which happened to be between Emily Prentiss and Spencer Reid. "Yeah, you're never giddy without a good reason," Emily side-eyed the man. Meanwhile, Spencer's fingers continued to trail down the papers before him, clearly unbothered.

"I don't know how I came across it, but I found the absolute best quote in a magazine last night," Derek explained his circumstances, crossing one leg over the other and leaning back in his seat.

"So you read now?" David Rossi satirically chimed in, earning a small chuckle from the group.

Derek rolled his eyes. "Just hear me out and tell me what you think it means," he cleared his throat. "Many a small thing ha–"

" – has been made large by the right kind of advertising."

Everyone's heads turned to Spencer, who completed the quote without permission. His chin rose so he could look at everyone. "Mark Twain."

Once processing the whole quote, you, Emily, and Rossi couldn't contain your childish giggles. Derek pointed his finger at the three of you. "See!" he boomed. "You're all thinking what I'm thinking."

"Only you would stumble across that," you rolled your eyes. "Mark Twain knows what's up."

While you exchanged laughs and commentary on the matter, Spencer coughed to get everyone's attention. "Wh-what's so funny about Mark Twain?" he questioned innocently.