sick day

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐝𝐚𝐲in which he doesn't show up to work

𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐝𝐚𝐲
in which he doesn't show up to work.

word count: 1,420

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          You strutted into the conference room, go bag in hand, on this Monday morning. You nodded greetings to each of your teammates as you found a seat at the round table in between JJ and Alex. You surveilled the premises quickly, noticing one team member missing aside from your technical analyst, who was probably on her way. You leaned over to JJ. "Hey, where's Spence?"

         The blonde shrugged. "Don't know. Maybe stuck in traffic?"

         Your brow knitted as you established the probability of Spencer being late due to traffic. With his timeliness, it was slim to none. You pushed your curiosity aside once Penelope entered, already flimsily pressing buttons on her remote. "We're local today, my lovely superheroes," she began cheerfully, "but that doesn't let the absolute freak we have to deal with off the hook."

         Once Penelope relayed the case details and you all deliberated, Derek pointed out Reid's absence. "Where's the kid?" he nodded towards the empty seat.

         Hotch's face was as clueless as JJ's from earlier. He folded up the file he was given and rose, pushing his chair in. "He can meet us at the police station. Garcia, let him know."

        "On it, sir," she eagerly replied, starting to head out.

         The rest of the team began to filter out as well, but you stayed behind to make a phone call. You pressed Spencer's contact then held the phone to your ear. You were met with a few rings, but voicemail was the inevitable end. You waited for the beep before you spoke.

         "Hey, Spence, it's me," you led with the formality. "Missed you just now at the briefing. The case is local, so if you're stuck in traffic or something, maybe just head straight to the police station. Give me a call back when you get this. The team's wondering about you. See ya."

         The day you had ahead of you was just as grueling as other days, but perhaps even more due to Spencer's failure to return your message. When Hotch announced that you all were done for the day, you packed up your stuff with Alex by your side. She was watching you intently as you shakily put your things away. "What's going on with you today?" she questioned, noting your detached behavior.

         You looked up from your bag. "Nothing," you shook your head. "Why?"

         "You were a bit spacey today," Alex observed. "Something on your mind?"