high

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡in which he only ever calls you when he's high

𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡
in which he only ever calls you when he's high.
inspired by the song "why'd you only call me when you're high?" {arctic monkeys}

word count: 1,601
tw: drug use

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          He was never the same after Tobias Hankel. You knew it from the second he groggily stumbled into your arms in the cemetery outside his captor's barn. But, you tried to ignore the obvious. You were desperately holding on to something that you were too naive to notice was long gone. He wasn't the same boy you fell in love with, and now, this was more prevalent than ever.

          You were out to dinner with some friends from home on a Saturday night when it really hit you. Spencer had been distant for the past week inside and outside of work, a drought you were used to at this point in your six month relationship. Laughing and spending quality time with your girlfriends were massive stress relievers for you, but your carefree aura was disrupted when your phone vibrated in your jacket pocket. You peeked at it while your friends continued conversing, your boyfriend's contact picture awaiting you. You couldn't tell if you were relieved or annoyed to see his name, but you picked up quickly anyway. "Hey, Spence."

         "How's your party?" Spencer groaned on the other line, voice scratchy.

         You removed your phone from your ear, excusing yourself from the table before heading off to find a quiet space to talk. You settled on a bathroom stall, locking the door when you found an empty one. "It's fun," you admitted, unsure if your joy would enlighten or upset him.

         Unfortunately, you were met with the latter. "You're always partying," he seethed. You could hear the excess saliva in his most likely dry mouth. "Are you ever going to spend time with me? I miss you, [y/n]."

         "I was with you all day at work," you confidently stated. "You weren't giving me any of your time."

         "You didn't ask for my time," Spencer croaked after a short pause.

         "I shouldn't have to ask."

         There was an abrupt silence before you took it upon yourself to speak again. You wrapped your free arm around your body. "You're using right now, aren't you?"

         Spencer obnoxiously huffed. "Oh, relax. I needed to let off some steam."

         Your eyes squinted shut, pain overtaking you. It wasn't the first time the boy called you when he was as high as a kite. In fact, it was becoming a regular occurrence. You seemed to be getting more attention from drugged Spencer than from sober Spencer. "How many times am I going to tell you before you get the hint, Spence?"