i don't wanna fall in love

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐢 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞in which you two tried to be more than friends, but he's suddenly convinced that it's not going to work out

in which you two tried to be more than friends, but he's suddenly convinced that it's not going to work out.
inspired by the song "don't wanna fall in love" {kyle}

word count: 1,263

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

You couldn't have been happier.

When you first fatefully ran into Spencer Reid in a Georgetown coffee shop, you were convinced you had met an angel on earth. Although he was excessively quirky, held spotty eye contact, and refused to shake your hand when you parted ways, you were so captivated by him. An FBI agent, a textbook genius, and an overall handsome man. You had to be shocked yourself when he willingly accepted your number and called you the next day. However, on your first "date," the sparks that ignited were nothing but platonic. This would continue for about a year, until things shifted.

About three months ago, you started to see Spencer in that same light as you first did in the coffee shop. As he opened up to you more and you to him, you couldn't help the romantic feelings that resurfaced. In a leap of faith, you decided to trust him with your emotions, and your surprise returned when he admitted he was beginning to feel the same. You took things to the next level after that, and to this day, you have been the perfect couple.

At least that's what you thought.

You had the day off from work, so you decided to grab some coffee and pastries and surprise Spencer at the B.A.U. You didn't even make it to the bullpen with your gift when you ran into the doctor right outside the elevator entrance to the sixth floor. When he spotted you, his brow immediately furrowed as he stopped in his tracks. "[Y/n]? What are you doing here?"

"Surprise!" you squeaked, holding the coffee tray and tiny paper bag higher into the air. "Figured you could use a croissant."

Instead of his sloppy side smile you expected, Spencer frantically looked around before walking closer to you. "That's nice, but why?" he whispered, leaning in.

You glanced around as well, trying to see if he was hiding something. "Because I thought it would be nice?" you justified your innocent actions. "I have the day off, anyway."

"You should probably go. I'm really busy," Spencer spat. "Sorry."

You were evidently perplexed. "Uh, alright?" you said as more of a question than a compliant answer. You stuck the treats out to him. "You still want this?"