high, part 2

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐in which he only ever calls you when he's high

𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐
in which he only ever calls you when he's high.
inspired by the song "why'd you only call me when you're high?" {arctic monkeys}

word count: 1,359
tw: drug use

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          After you stormed out of the conference room, you didn't get far before Hotch chased you down. You were headed into the lobby when he called your name with stern assertion, causing your heart to plummet. You paused in your path, sighing as you spun around to face him. "Sir."

          "What was that?" he scolded, jerking his thumb back over his shoulder in the direction of the bullpen. "You cannot make an accusation like that without backup."

         "It's not an accusation. It's the truth," you swallowed hard, trying to keep a confident front despite Hotch's natural intimidation. You crossed your arms. "Spencer has been struggling with addiction ever since the Tobias Hankel case."

         Hotch's face sunk, the slightest bit of sympathy swimming into his eyes. "Yeah," you said to fill his lack of a response. "He didn't tell anyone since he knew how to hide it at work, but I always get the worst of it. He needs help, and I'm not going to try anymore if he won't listen to me or treat me with respect."

         Hotch simply listened to what you had to say, unsure of how to fight it. He pointed towards the hallway. "Come with me," he lowered his voice. You followed your boss as he led you to a spare office room. When you entered, he shut the door behind the both of you. "You know I to have to tell Strauss about this," Hotch reluctantly reminded.

          You were familiar with protocol. "I know," you nodded, secretly hoping Spencer wouldn't lose his job.

          "But I'm not going to."

          Your eyes popped from their sockets, baffled by the man's defiance. You simply stared as he elaborated. "I'm going to give Reid an ultimatum. He can leave today and take some time off to get the help he needs. If he chooses not to, I go to Strauss."

         "I–sure," you mumbled. "I hope that will get through to him."

         "It better," Hotch huffed. "This stays between us, though. I'll have to tell the rest of the team, but I'm trusting you not to mention the ultimatum."

         You didn't know why he had to be so secretive, but if it meant Spencer getting clean, you were on board. "Of course."