let you down

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧in which he wants to have children one day, and you're afraid you can't give him that

𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧
in which he wants to have children one day, and you're afraid you can't give him that.

word count: 2,514

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

"You really should try the coffee here. Making coffee at work instead of waiting in a shop will shave approximately seven point three minutes off of our commute time. Not to mention your bank account would suffer astronomically less."

You and your boyfriend of a year, Spencer Reid, were heading into work right on time. As you sipped the coffee you grabbed on the way, Spencer spit some factual advice while he held the door for you. You shook your head, approaching the elevator. "Sure, but does work coffee taste even half as good?" you retorted, glancing argumentatively at Spencer before pressing the up button. He gave you a defeated shrug, you smiling as a result. "Gotcha there."

Once the elevator opened before you two, you filed inside and hit the button for the sixth floor. "Hey, I almost forgot!" Spencer perked up, causing you to look up at him mid-drink. "JJ comes back today!"

You nodded in understanding. "Oh, yeah. She's probably exhausted. I can't imagine how tiring two kids can be." You said that with a hint of sadness in your voice. It was true – you really couldn't imagine.

The metal doors slid open again, this time dropping you two at the lobby of the B.A.U. You both exited, making a beeline for the bullpen coffee machine through the glass doors, where Spencer contently chose to get his caffeine. "It's definitely a lot of work, but it has to be so rewarding," he reflected as he popped a K-cup into the machine.

"Definitely," you agreed, leaning against the countertop.

"You know, when we have kids, I would love two boys and a girl. I'm not sure why, but I've just always thought of my life that way. We could move onto a farm, and we can get some animals, too," Spencer began to ramble, the first few words coming out of his mouth causing you to be taken aback. You stared at him, lips slightly parted in shock. When he noticed, he paused, a look of worry in his eyes. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

You swallowed uncomfortably, closing your mouth after you realized you were gawking. "No, nothing," you reassured, circling your hands around the warm cup you held. "You just said, uh, when we have kids."

"Well, yeah," Spencer reiterated, taking his now finished coffee and pouring in some creamer.

"You want to have kids with me?" you blurted out, concern lacing your tone.