too little time

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞in which you're both so busy, and it's gotten hard to bear

𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞
in which you're both so busy, and it's gotten hard to bear.

word count: 2,554

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          You were practically panting when you arrived at the break room. You had been rushing from room to room for the past two hours, assessing both old and new patients with everything from broken bones, stab wounds, head trauma, and the flu. When the clock struck one in the afternoon, you were relieved to leave your post and have a quick lunch. However, most of your lunch breaks weren't coveted because of the chance to eat. Instead, as you did every day, you searched for your phone in your purse and began dialing a familiar number.

         "Hi, [y/nickname]," you boyfriend, Spencer Reid's, voice was music to your ears. "Lunch time?"

         You found a seat on the couch, getting the most comfortable you've been all day. "Yep," you freed your stethoscope from your neck, flinging it carefully beside you. "How are you?"

         "I'm good," Spencer spoke over what was clearly disorganized commotion. "A little hectic at the police department, but it always is. How's your day going? Save any lives?"

         "Thankfully nobody's looking death in the face, so I haven't had to. Yet, at least," your expression fell, knowing it was rare for a day to go by without a fatality. "Just tons of checking up."

         "Hey, I have good news," Spencer blurted. "We're getting really close to catching this unsub. We've got a suspect and we're heading to his house now. If all goes according to plan, I could be home by eleven."

         You perked up, ecstatic to hear his optimism. You tried to avoid getting your hopes up when Spencer gave you promising ETAs, but you couldn't help that initial jolt of energy you felt when he did so. "Really?" you happily questioned. "That's great, Spence. I should be out of here way before then, too."

         "Great!" he was elated, but there was a sudden pause. "Hey, I have to go, but I'll call you as soon as we close the case."

         "Sounds like a plan," you felt a smile tug at your lips. "I love you."

         "Love you, too. Bye."

         A big reason why you stayed away from love was your job. As a renowned ER doctor in D.C., your work hours were impractical and untimely. Any man you've ever been with never understood your commitment, and it's been the downfall of many relationships. However, once you met Spencer Reid, an FBI agent, you realized that there were people out there that got you. Even with both of you having crazy schedules, you've been making your relationship work for the past eight months. But, recently, things have been getting hectic, and you've found yourselves going days and even weeks without seeing each other. It was painful, but you loved him too much to let him go, as he did for you.