locked away, part 2

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐in which he's wrongfully convicted, but you're starting to lose hope

𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐
in which he's wrongfully convicted, but you're starting to lose hope.

word count: 1,897

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

          Your team was at a loss following your cognitive interview with Spencer. Things were starting to fall into place with the story he remembered, and it made your stomach toss and turn. Every stone that you all managed to unturn only stacked the odds against him. Weeks went by, and you seemed to find nothing worth his attorney's time. It wasn't until three weeks before his trial that news broke that would change everything.

          You and the team had just returned from a case in Detroit, and you were unpacking in the bullpen when Emily received a phone call. Luke eyed her curiously as the Unit Chief scurried into her office. He sat on the edge of his desk. "What do we think that's about?"

         "It better not be another case," Penelope Garcia was spiraling as she shuffled to Jennifer Jareau's desk. "My fragile heart needs some time to repair."

         "Maybe it's something to do with Reid," JJ wishfully suggested, crossing her legs in her seat.

         You were silent as your colleagues hypothesized. You simply twirled a pencil between your fingers, mind wandering to Spencer as it always did. You weren't bothering anyone, so you were surprised when someone called your name. It was Tara Lewis, who was previously knee-deep in phone call theories. "You okay, [y/n]?"

         Your eyes rose to see everyone staring at you. You nodded your head with a confident swallow. "Yeah, I'm good. I don't know what the call could be about."

         "Something is on your mind," David Rossi pointed out, which was evident. "You can't get past a band of profilers."

         You wanted to laugh at his playful tease, but you couldn't force it. "Just stressed," you admitted, some truth in your response. "The case, Reid, everything." No one knew about your budding romantic feelings for the imprisoned genius, so you were praying that you weren't giving off vibes that would indicate that.

         "Aren't we all," Penelope groaned. "We need a party soon. Once Reid gets out, drinks are on Rossi."

         The older Italian scoffed. "What?!"

         "Hey, you guys," the voice of Emily Prentiss interrupted the soon-to-be friendly quarrel. She slipped her phone in her back pocket as she made her way down the steps. "I think we have a break in Reid's case."