59| Wounded

Trigger Warning:
The following chapter will have contents that will be disturbing for some people. Mature scenes ahead in terms of emotional depression and suicidal thoughts, only suitable for mature audiences who have mastered self-control.

I'm so sorry that I have to post this depressing chapter during Christmas. The plot just has to be this way.

I hope you have a joyful celebration during this holiday.

***

Five hours ago

Five hours ago

My tears wouldn't stop flowing as I wrote the letter to Jake. This was the last thing I could have asked for before they decided to get rid of me.

I didn't know why Tuck had allowed me to write it -- as long as it didn't explain about them. I'd thought that he was heartless.

I better finished this before he changed his mind.

It was so hard to pour all of my emotions into a piece of paper, the words just flowing endlessly, but I didn't have much time.

I didn't want Jake to think the worst of himself, and I just wanted him to know how much he meant to me and how much I loved him.

Just as I finished writing the last word on the paper, the door burst open, startling me. I snapped my head toward it and found Steve, who scrutinized me.

"Done?" he asked in a cold voice.

I gulped and quickly nodded. He approached me toward the desk and examined the letter, checking whether it was safe enough or not.

My heart sank because he wasn't supposed to see it -- it was mine and Jake's. But this was the only way of reaching out to Jake before I die, so I had no other choice.

Steve scoffed. "He's such a lover boy, isn't he? That will make our plan easier."

I frowned, wondering about what he meant, but before I could ask him a question, he grabbed my shoulders and pushed me onto the floor, with him towering above me.

My eyes widened in shock, my heart rate kicking up a notch.

"Foolish girl." He sneered. "Do you think Tuck is that generous to allow you to have a dying message?"

I was at loss for words after hearing him talk about the letter, which I was gripping tightly in my hand.

"You might die later, but not right now, darlin'." He smirked. "However, the police and your boyfriend didn't have to know that. He needs to know that you're indeed dead before he can finally obey us and betray the police."

I shook my head in disbelief.

They were going to trick Jake and made him in his most vulnerable state. Then they would get the money again from him.