25| Save Me

It's already late when I glance at the clock again

It's already late when I glance at the clock again. 9 PM.

Most of the employees are already gone. Only me and Jake are left here in our department.

I still have an assignment to finish, and I can't help but think that Mark gave it to me just to call me more often to his office.

I glance at Jake, who's reading his report. As far as I remember, he has finished it this afternoon. Why is he still working until this hour?

I'm flipping through the pages of my documents when my desk phone rings. It's Mark again, making my heart drop.

I was hoping that he already went home -- I was waiting for it -- but how wrong I am. I pick it up nonetheless.

"Bring me the papers," he says.

I'm trying to buy some more time so that I don't have to see him now. The thought of it makes me sick.

"I still need to go through it one more time, Sir," I stutter, hoping that he'll consider it.

"You don't need to," he says nonchalantly. "The legal team has gone through it countless times. Just bring the documents here. Now," he states, his voice firm, leaving me no other choice before he hangs up.

I swallow hard, my mind spinning. My hand is shaking when I put the phone down.

What do I do now? I don't want to go there again.

"Is everything okay?" Jake's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

I turn to him and see concern all over his face. But no sound leaves my throat.

"Talk to me. What is wrong?" he asks, and I want to burst in tears.

Is it okay to tell him the reason? That Mark has been assaulting me all this time? That he has put his hands on me in the wrong places?

Wouldn't that be embarrassing enough?

What can Jake do to help me?

Before I know it, I shake my head in denial.

"Nothing. I'm just a bit tired," I lie, plastering a fake smile. "I gotta go, Jake. Mark needs me to hand him the documents."

With that said, I walk off, not waiting for his response.

Every step that I'm taking as I walk to Mark's office feels even heavier than before, all because it's already late.

I'm never comfortable visiting him during the day, let alone nighttime when the office isn't that busy.

Before I enter his office, I see his secretary preparing to leave.

"He's still inside, but he's leaving soon," she informs me, putting her bag around her shoulder before walking off.