Storm

I was barely at the end of the road and I was already out of breath, panting so hard I felt like my body was going to explode. I kind of forgot that Dexter's stamina was lower since he was rather fat and all.

Maybe we should've put him on a diet.

I looked up at the sky since I was now laying flat on back and gazed at the clouds. Big white fluffy ones blocked the sun and provided a cool shade for my dying body. In the distance, a swirl of grey nimbus clouds collected in the sky.

Dang it. There's a storm moving in.

Deciding it was now or never to get over there and hear our real plan, I got up, despite my jelly-feeling legs and started at a walk again.

Stupid stamina.

I was late as it was, and I really needed to make up time. Today was the first school day after spring break that I was missing and I didn't intent for this pattern to continue. All my mom knows it that I'm staying in Maui on another "cheap deal" because there were more cancellations.

I'm just worried that she'll get suspicious, start making calls to the villa and find out that I'm not there. And explaining that I'm Dexter probably won't go over to well. Although that might be kind of funny...

After about three minutes of walking, I finally had enough breath to start running again. Despite my low stamina, I had lots of speed which gave me the upper hand.

I actually loved running as a cat. It felt so free; it was just so different from running as a human where you had two arms and two legs. As an animal, you had double the energy since your body had two more limbs to tire out. Choreographing all four paws was a bit hard at first, but once you found the right rhythm, you could practically fly.

In fact, if I was a bird, I would imagine it to be very much like a cat.

Does that make sense? Comparing cats and birds? Meh, you can't feel this amazing feeling so you wouldn't know. Why don't you go run on your two legs so I can rub it in while I'm here strutting on four! Oh, yeah... Strutting! Work it, Dext! Mm, I should be mobbed by the paparazzi for my beautiful moves!

Another ten minutes had passed and I had crossed nearly two kilometers.

Yay, six more to go!

Note the sarcasm.

I was now soaked in sweat and my fur was sticking to places that it should not be sticking to.

I glanced at the sky again. The weather had miraculously cooled down over this short time and angry clouds now rolled in, blocking all daylight.

Was this an eclipse?

But moments later, they parted once again and I was left standing on the side of the road where my thoughts had left me. I started walking, trying to ignore the sticky, sweaty feeling that captivated my body and jealously looked at the town.

It was so close, but so far...

I could see the peak of the water tower and a few buildings that looked ahead of me.

The only thing that kept me going was my mind saying plan, plan, plan, plan, plan, plan, plan, plan. In fact, I was focusing so hard on that word that I didn't even realize the drop of rain that landed on my head.