Kitty To The Rescue

PICTURE IS OF MY KITTY, JOURNEY, WHO PLAYS AS DEXTER. Check out my other book, "Because of a Death." If you're enjoying this, you should like that, too.

"Dexter!" I heard the door of my bedroom creak open and my mother appeared. Despite the argument we had last night, this was the only person I wanted to see.

I started walking towards her, trying to break out a job, but running with four legs was much more different than two. It was hard to coordinate them properly, but once I did, I found myself moving with a easy swiftness that I immediately took a liking to. It was much easier to run with four legs since you had two more to tire out before they turned into jelly, if you know what I mean. I crossed over the floor now smoothly, meowing as I went. She looked at me, a small smile on her lips.

"So Rachel's gone, hey? That girl didn't even have enough decency to say goodbye to me. But I bet you got a hug. Teenagers, hey Dexter? You should be glad you aren't one."

But I am one! I wanted to say. I'm your daughter and I want to say goodbye or hello or see you later. I want to be able to hug you and step on that airplane. I want to go back to being me -- a fricken teenager!

But of course I couldn't say those things. And although I tried, they came out sounding like a hissy set of mrows.

"Are you hungry, my baby? I bet your pretty little whiskers you are."

Woah, does my mom always talk to Dexter like that? I should really set her up on some dates. She needs a social life.

She picked me up and I started to panic. There was a tight grip around my stomach making the food inside me churn slightly. I tried to jump out but without anything to put my paws on to spring off of, I couldn't.

Great. I said it again, well thought it. My paws. These are not mine! They are freaking Dexter's so get that out of your mind, Rachel!

I watched the ground slowly become smaller as I was hoisted higher up in the air. I let out a loud meow. I never liked heights and seeing them from this high up were freaking me out. I spun around and gripped my mom's shoulder with my claws and closed my eyes. I could feel her every movement and it was like getting an extremely bumpy piggy back ride. I could feel her weight shift with every step she took and I sunk my claws deeper into her skin.

"Dexter. Geesh, kitty, you gotta stop beating your poor mommy up, you're making my shoulder bleed."

OMG. Yeah, she was my mom, but not freaking Dexters mom! Just for thinking like a crazy cat lady, I stretched my claws out a little deeper and I felt her flinch, her movement sending shivers through my body.

She pulled me off, despite my feeble attempts to regain balance on her shoulder. She held me suspended in mid air and I started freaking out. It was like being in an airplane where the ground looked like a patch work quilt. Only the rug seemed to look like ants. I tried swimming through the air to get her to pull me closer, but she only scolded me with an amused expression on her face as I did my terrible air-par cor.

"Oh Dexter, you crazy cat. I could make you walk, you know."

Yes! Please make me walk! You're so flipping tall that it looks like I'm going bungee-jumping when you hold me out. I let out a string of protests which my mother assumed was was for the worst and she dropped me.

Oh yeah, something I hate more than heights -- falling. The ground whirled beneath me and I saw flashes of it as I tried to regain my balance and land in a comfortable position.

You know what they say about cats always landing on their feet? Their wrong.

The side of my stomach hit the floor with such a great force that I felt the air seep out of my lungs. I twisted over, gasping and letting out a rage of wheezes.