Day Two as a Human

I pushed opened the familiar school doors and was greeted by the chatter of the students in the hall. It was so different being human again. Simply being able to communicate with my fellow species nearly surprised me every time I spoke. I looked around and grinned. Our small town school only had 200 students from Grades 4-12 so it was pretty easy to find your friends. The elementary were in one wing, the Jr. High in the other, and the Sr. High in the last. I fled down to the furthest hall and was greeted by an overly cheerful Ally.

"Heyyyy!" She squealed, "It's so good to see you again!" She squished me in a hug and I wrapped my arms around her before pulling back and began to jump up and down.

"So tell me everything about Mexico. How were the parties, and beaches, and," I wiggled my eyebrows, "Rice?"

We started chatting and then we stopped in front of my locker and I pulled my lock off. That was another thing: in small towns, you didn't need to lock them. You just had to close the door and you could keep Bill Gate's latest program safe without any security whatsoever. I grabbed my pencil box and then shut my door. In fact, because we had so few people, we were able to keep our binders in our teachers classrooms. It made it really easy to get to classes in a rush that way.

We started down the hall to our next class which was only about ten feet away, when I was suddenly surprised by a familiar face.

"Hey!" Kyle breathed.

So he was a man of his word, too? Dang, he just kept on racking up the points!

"So, you're here to walk me to class?" I asked, shooting him a teasing glance.

"Nah, I thought we could talk about tuna instead."

"Hey! I thought we'd never speak of that again!" I slapped him on the chest playfully, surprised at how easy it was to talk to him. The words just seemed to flow out naturally.

"Well if you insist, I suppose I could walk you to English instead. But do you really need me to escort you that far of a distance?" He sighed dramatically, pointing across the hall.

"Well, you did offer so it's only fair that I make you suffer."

"You got me on that one. M'lady," he offered me his arm and I sat there staring at it, the whole time thinking: OMG! This is Kyle offering to walk me to class, arm in arm like some old people from the 18th century. If I die in his arms, I swear that will be the death best ever. "Well, are you going take it or not?"

I gingerly looped my arm through, thinking as if his skin would shock me, but then relaxed into that position. Man, he was a great guy.

We began to stroll off when I heard Ally cry out: "Oh sure, just leave your bestest friend behind!" She ran up to me and linked arms with my free one. Now we were an awkward trio taking up three quarters of the hallway space.

Then she leaned into my ear and very carefully whispered, "Since when were you and Mr. Hotty over here walking to class together? What happened when I was gone?" she flipper her long, dark hair over her shoulder dramatically and I rolled my eyes at her.

"Like I said, we have a lot to catch up about." I whispered back as we entered the door frame. That alone was pretty awkward. Because we were one big blob, we had to shuffle in vertically, catching quite a few stares and bumping into each other quite a bit. But I did get to smell Kyle and I gotta say, that was the best scent ever.

But as soon as we were in, Ally sauntered off with a wave over her shoulder and booted some poor guy out of the seat next to Rice's. Then I realized what she was doing.

Normally we sat together, keeping our 'best-friends before boy-friends' code an honest one. But now she was giving me the perfect opportunity to spend a whole forty minutes seated next to Kyle. Gosh, I love that girl.