Awakening

My eyes opened and the world became fuzzy around me. Everything seemed blurry and strange. My head was pounding and I ached all over. My body's muscles seemed to be contracting with every breath and little move I made. Honestly, it felt like I was going to die.

I squinted my eyes back shut to stop the pain and tried to remember what happened. Then it all came back to me.

The break-in, the men, the bottle of pills, scratching one thug, and being thrown against the wall and not knowing anything that happened after that.

I sat up with a rush at that eerie thought. Where was I? I looked around again and my eyes slowly focused on my surroundings. In front of me stood my dresser, my half open closet door, and my four familiar bedroom walls. I sighed with happiness and sank back down onto my comforter. Looks like very thing turned out for us. Maybe I could finally get turned back to normal. But now I need to know where Charlie and Nikki are.

Ignoring the pain in my head, I pushed myself up when I suddenly realized that something feel wrong.

Very wrong.

For the first time since my blackout, I looked down at my body.

And screamed.

My door swung open and my mom rushed in.

I was still screaming.

"Rachel! Stop it! What's the matter?" She yelled/said in a very concerned tone.

Holy crap! My voice! I am screaming in a human voice! I am normal! Charlie and Nikki must've turned me back already. Oh, thank God!

My screams of terror turned into happy squeals until I noticed my mom looking at me like I had grown three heads.

"Oh my gosh, mom! Look at me!"

She looked me up and down.

"Was the weather cold in Maui? You don't have much of a tan."

I burst out laughing. A happy, content laugh that I could laugh forever. Everything happened turned out to be ok. I was normal and I could finally go back to real life. But then a thought came to me:

"Mom, where's Dexter?"

She looked at me confused again. "He was with me for the night. "

Now I had the confused look on my face, "The whole night?"

She nodded. "I had him ever since supper and then we curled up in my room and I watched a movie with him."

Gosh. I really need to get my mom a boyfriend if she's doing all that with a cat. Oh wait, she has one.

But that's the least of my worries now. Just how was I Dexter and yet my mom had him?

"Ally! I need to talk to her! Mom, where's my phone!?"

She gave me that weird look again, "I don't know, where ever you last had it, honey. Are you feeling alright?"

"No. Not at all." And with that, I ran out of the room.

Or at least tried to. The moment my feet touched the ground, my legs buckled and I fell to the floor. Talk a bout a total face plant. I groaned an rolled over. Walking on two legs was so much harder than four. I can't believe that this isn't adding up.

"Sweetie, are you ok?"

"Yeah, could you just bring me a phone please. It looks like I'm having some legit jetlag." I told her, laughing at my not-so-funny joke.

She nodded and left to grab the cordless while I started trying to stand up again. It was a lot harder than I remembered. My feet fumbled around and managed to grab my bed post for support. By then I was on my knees and I slowly tried to get my but off of the ground.