Zeus Chase

I nodded my head to say that the people in the picture seemed familiar. It's just to bad I couldn't say where I saw them. I knew it was Walmart now, I was practically certain. But why were they there? I had a feeling it wasn't for groceries

"Do you remember where you saw them?"

I nodded my head again, a bit of my broken off ear flapping around.

"Was it from Walmart?"

Whoa could Charlie read minds? This guy was getting freakier by the moment.

But, despite my peculiar suspicions, I nodded my head and shot him a quizzical glance.

"Good, I'm actually assuming that a lot of people have seen them there since their headquarters are in the Walmart storage area. They have members staging as workers so they have access to the drug supply. They steal the drugs in small quantities so it doesn't look obvious. Then they use the bottles to put Newbliss' dugs inside. That way it doesn't look obvious in case they get caught. Then they have to ship those drugs to their warehouse where they make their juice concoction. Are you still following me?"

I shook my head. I don't think I heard a word he said.

I could feel Nikki moving beside me so I decided that Ally didn't have a clue, either.

Charlie sighed. ""Workers' at Walmart steal drugs from the pharmacy. They use the bottles to put the stolen Newbliss drugs inside. They ship to drugs to the warehouse. They add them to the juice. They sell them. The bottles are so it doesn't look suspicious in case they get caught. Now do you understand?"

I nodded. Why couldn't he have just said that in the first place?

Jeesh, people and details.

Oh wait, normally the person going in great detail would be me. Haha, sorry Charlie.

"Anyways, what we need to do is formulate a plan. I would say that we could work on one now, but seeing that I need to get back to work and Nikki needs her bath, I should probably go. Rachel, do you want a ride home?"

I meowed happily.

"Good then let's go."

______________________
______________

The vehicle lurched to a final stop and I almost flew out the window - again! Charlie had parked half a kilometer down the road so it didn't look like he had randomly cat napped me and was now returning me. I'm not sure what my mom would think if she saw her cat hop out of a strangers vehicle.

She'd probably have a heart attack. Or a seizure.

She gets surprised really easily.

Like extremely easily.

But then again, it's just a "cat," not like it's actually her daughter or anything. Psh, that would be soooo silly.

Catch the sarcasm?

Charlie leaned over and opened the door for me.

"Text me if you think of a plan sooner, ok?" He handed me a business card and I happily grabbed it with my mouth. I jumped out and started plodding along the gravel road.

I haven't even been walking for more than thirty seconds when I heard the crunch of rocks behind me. I spun around and there, slowly creeping forward was no other dog than Zeus himself.

Hello, dexter. He growled.

Um, hi Zeus. I replied. I was actually feeling pretty good about those three words. I hadn't accomplished talking in cat while being nervous, but I just proved myself wrong. And right now, with a blood-thirsty Doberman on my heels, I was feeling pretty scared.

Long time no see, Kitty cat. Where have you been hanging out?

I've been around.

Why was he so interested in talking to me? And what did he mean by "long time no see?"

Y'know, I haven't been getting enough exercise lately. My masters are in Costa Rica so I've been stuck in the back yard. In fact, I'm feeling kind of excited. Wanna play a game, Kitty cat?

Um, how about "no?" I asked quizzically.

I don't think I was giving you an option, he replied.

And with that he spring forward. My mind seemed to play in slow motion, taking in every single detail before it registered what was happening.

I saw the tightness of his muscles clench together. I noticed how his paws curled up before springing back down to land on the ground. I realized how his ears flopped to the right side when he ran. And then I felt his hot breath on my neck.

I ran.

Houses and fences whirled past me on both sides as all I could think about was getting home and creeping in that cat door.

I pushed myself as fast as I could, my legs burning up with every step. My heart was leaping through my chest and I could barely breath. I felt my tail flying around and I could feel Zeus's movements behind me.

My mind screamed at me to go faster, but my legs refused. The gravel pushed into my paws and I felt every inch of the jagged rocks.

I swerved over to the left but Zeus must've been expecting that. He short stopped and sprang forward again-Never being more than a few inches behind me.

My feet were aching, my lungs were bursting and the gravel on the road was thickening.

Finally, my paw hit a rock, a large, sharp rock that cut deep into the flesh. I tumbled forward and tried to move the the pain stopped me. I let out an angry hiss, mentally cursing myself.

I could feel Zeus slowly moving forward now, he knew I could no longer hold up a chase. Then, closing the the last of the space, he walked overtop of me and looked at me through those vicious brown eyes.

I always win, Kitty cat. And this is going to be your last loss.