Break In

"Do you seriously think this is going to work? I quietly asked Ally. We were about fifty meters from the Walmart entrance and I was shaking like a maniac from inside my little pouch. Charlie had somehow managed to get Nikki a Eye-Seeing dog vest. On the sides were two large pockets where you could put things. And I just happened to be a 'thing.'

"It better." She trotted obediently beside Charlie who fixed his dark sunglasses and then she heeled when he stopped, making me lurch in my pouch.

"Was that necessary? I asked, swallowing another fur-ball that had lodged up. Those things were seriously uncomfortable. I flicked my tail around and pushed my claws through the mesh and slightly into her side.

"Ow! Rachel, stop it!"

"Sorry, but I don't like being hurled."

"It's not my fault I have to be obedient to Charlie. I'm just trying to be a good actor and all that shmag. So shut up before we get found out."

"Fine," I hissed.

I soon heard the swoosh of the sliding doors open and then Nikki's claws on the tiled floor. A greeter said a few words to Charlie and he mumbled a reply.

Ally took confident strides to the back of the store where she heeled properly to oncoming people and wove Charlie through the isles. I was surprised at how good she was acting. If I didn't know better, I probably would've the thought she was a legit helper dog.

I peeked out of my pouch and saw the Employees Only sign come into view. This is it. Now or never.

I pick now.

Our plan was simple enough: We had choreographed the timing perfectly so no one would be in the break area where the supply closet was. Then we would simply sneak down into their hiding area and carefully video tape all the activity go on. Nikki had a button cam on her vest which could hold up to 8 gigabytes of footage. That way it wouldn't be obvious, and we could still get a good view. In the mean time, Ally or I would sneak off and grab the bottle of pills. We would make a run of it and wait for Charlie to be booted out. Then we would anonymously turn in the footage to the police and get them shut down for good.

In fact, it seems so simple I'm almost not sure it will work.

Ally stopped beside the wide double doors leading into the Employees room and waited for Charlie to make the next move. He tipped his shades down, spun around to make sure the coast was clear, then pushed the door open ever so slightly, and led us through.

We were in.

Now we faced a large supply room, filled with boxes to the ceiling! There were two doors too the side, one which would have the break room, and the other a washroom. We began creeping over and Charlie slowly pushed on the door.

Then I heard footsteps.

"Hey! What are you doing! This area is off limits, sir!" A man came rushing up to us, panting. Then he realized the dog and glasses. "Oh, I'm sorry. You actually came into the warehouse, sir. If you'll just let me lead you out, I'll be happy to escort you the the proper items that you need."

I heard Charlie shuffle his feet as he tried to think on the spot, "Um, I-"

"Ally, do something!" I hissed urgently.

And then she did.

In one split second, she had gone from peaceful helping dog to full on rage mode. I felt her leap up and then she carried us off the ground. She lunged at the mans face and went for his hair. I could hear her powerful jaws open, the saliva separating, and her lips quivering. Then I felt the tug surge through her as she landed back down, pulling the man with her.

"Ah! Get off of me, you dog! Help!"

Charlie bolted for the break room and I jumped out of the pouch, following on his heels. I didn't know where we were going, but he seemed to know his way. We pushed through another door on in a closet, and I was shocked to see a dusty staircase lead to a basement. There were concrete steps and he ran down them two at a time. I raced after him.

And then we were at the basement.

I don't exactly know what I had been expecting, but it wasn't this. I saw shelves of gleaming products, humming fridges that touched the eight foot ceiling, and containers of juice. Along the back wall were three dust-free shelves holding bottles of pills. I looked at them and smiled my constipated monkey look.

Target locked.

I bolted just as the men realized the intruders. This wasn't quite going as plan, but I had no turn to go back now!

"What the..." I tuned out the curse words as three men emerged from their centre table. It looked like they had been playing poker.

Five feet to the shelf.

Then Charlie started speaking. I could feel somebody running at me, but it was to late for me to stop, my adrenaline was pumping too high and I wouldn't have been able to stop even if I wanted to.

"Excuse me?" He asked, playing dumb. I had no idea how he was able to stay so calm, "Can someone help me? I seemed to have gotten lost. Hello? Have you seen my cat anywhere? Oh dear! My guide dog!"

"Hey, Mr., I heard a gruff voice say, "you've gotten yourself on the wrong turf. And somebody catch that fricken cat!" I could hear him step towards Charlie, probably to grab his collar and shake the mcjeebers out of him.

Then one of his thugs did as they were told. I lunged for the second shelf and landed gracefully. The bottles were small and I opened my mouth wide to grab the top of the bottle. I closed it around the lid and turned to leave when one of the men grabbed me by the scruff of the neck.

"Hey kitty cat," he purred, his hot breath hit my face and I flinched back, "that bottle is mine. You better back off, pussy cat, or else I'll rip of more than that ear of yours."

Rage swelled up in me and I jumped out of his grasp, landing at his face, and extending my claws into his flesh. I heard a powerful cry and then he rose up, anger evident in his face. He tore me off, but I managed to rip up his skin as he went. Now flushed, I watched as he tossed me from one arm to the next.

Then he threw me at the wall.

I sailed through the air faster than a football going down the field. The feeling was actually a rather free one, but it ended quickly.

My head hit the bricks and then all I saw was black.