Chapter 23

I wake up the next morning, the familiar gut wrenching feeling immediately hitting me.

July seventh.

I take a deep breath, willing myself to be strong and when I finally get out of bed, I can't convince myself to make any effort with my outfit. After a quick shower, I grab the first two items out of my wardrobe and tie my hair up into a high ponytail.

When I finally make it downstairs, I make myself a coffee, allowing myself to add the drop of whiskey in the hope it'll take the edge off the whole day

I hear Simons heavy footsteps, before he enters the kitchen. He's shirtless, only wearing some red shorts and sneakers, and if the glistening layer coating his six pack is anything to go by, he's clearly been busy.

"You're up early."

I nod. "Couldn't sleep. You went for a run?"

"Yep. Same predicament." He glances at the coffee machine, then the bottle of whiskey before directing his gaze back towards me.

We don't break eye contact, a silent conversation passing between us.

Are you going to say it, or am I?

Will we pretend that today is just a normal day?

I clear my throat, taking a sip of my coffee while silently praying that when I speak I can keep the shake in my voice from showing. "I was gonna go to the church today. I know it's not the same as being in New York, but..... You could come, if you wanted."

Simon nods, noticeably gulping. "That sounds good."

Less than an hour later, I'm pulling into a parking spot outside the local church. The journey consisted of silence, neither of us knowing what to say. It's the first time we've been together on this day, since the event that finally broke us.

It's empty when we get inside, which I'm grateful for.

After sitting in silence lost in our own thoughts for a few minutes, we move to the area where you can light candles.

Simon lights a candle, while I wipe the tear that's rolled down my cheek. He intertwines our fingers, wordlessly and I find comfort in his soothing caress.

"Happy birthday Sophie." My voice breaks as I say her name and I can't stop the tears. Simon pulls me towards him, wrapping his arms around me.

I hear him sniff. "I'm sorry it took me seven years to be with you on this day."

I shake my head. "It's not your fault."