Chapter 22

"Welcome home!" We all bellow as Hayden pushes the front door open for Abi.

Abi smiles, glancing at everyone in our friend group. "Oh my god! What are you guys doing here?"

Olivia drops the 'welcome home' sign in her hand, with a sigh. "Who told you?"

The squeak in Abi's voice goes even higher at her next words. "What? No one told me."

"You're a shit liar." Layla deadpans.

I nod. "Your voice goes up ten octaves."

"It was Hayden." Simon is the next to speak.

"I told you guys I couldn't keep a secret!" Hayden defends himself.

"Your job is literally to keep secrets." Jake retorts.

"Pfft. Minor details."

Abi winces as she takes a few more slow steps towards the couch. "I hope you guys brought alcohol, and lots of it."

"Not gonna happen babe. Doctors orders." Hayden picks the bottle of wine up from the table. "Me on the other hand."

"You're a dick."

"Sure I am." He winks.

"So are you two an item then?" Layla smirks from her seat.

Abi and Hayden share a look, before Hayden turns his attention back to Layla. "We're taking it one step at a time."

"Starting with Hayd here, being my personal maid." Abi grins.

The laughs she earned from her statement may have been part of the reason she was beaming, but the cheeky dimples and wink Hayden gave her, probably had a lot more to do with it.

**✿❀ ❀✿**

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I had a meeting with Clare." Olivia apologies, as she slips into the seat across from me outside the cafe.

I shake my head. "You're good, I'm only here myself. Hairdressing appointment ran late."

"Love the hair by the way." Olivia grins.

"Thanks babes. I though while I had a day off I'd get up early and do myself up. Just to make myself feel better."

"Because of Simon?"

I shake my head. "No, he's good. He's been spending most his time at the garage trying to get it up and running."

After Abi got out of hospital, Hayden temporarily moved into her house, where he's sleeping 'on the couch' of course. While I told Simon he could stay at my place until he got himself sorted, and he's actually been sleeping on the couch.

With the timing of my shifts and the effort he's putting in at the garage, we rarely see each other. So at least there's no chance of us hopping back into bed together. Today was my day off and Abi had a hospital appointment meaning I couldn't visit her, so I decided to hit the gym, do my makeup and get my hair done.