Chapter 26

David's eyes blinked awake as the fresh sunlight hit his face. He stretched and looked around the cabin. The view of the bunk beds was now empty.

It was quiet.

He sighed, pushing back his red hair. It was part of the job after all. David worked alone at Camp Campbell now surrounded by nature.

A week has passed since the Campwell's bought Camp Campbell. David worked alone in the forest with Quartermaster still lingering around the forest. Although David was the only one in the cabin, he didn't dare change anything.

Everything was in the same place that was left. From the bunk beds to the extra desks shoved on the opposite side of the cabin to the extra couch chairs. David knew if he moved them out he would have more space, but a part of him couldn't get rid of the extra furniture.

He continued to lay in his bed as he took out his phone. David read the time saying 11:34.

Had he overslept?

David groaned at the thought as his eyes landed on (Y/n)'s top bunk. She had left him her Camp Campbell t-shirt uniform on top of her bed, where David hadn't touch since.

He continued to stare before the redhead stood up and made his way towards his bathroom. Inside he turned on the sink and began to brush his teeth.

David jumped slightly, hearing the door pound loudly. He wasn't expecting any visitors. He quickly washed out his mouth and made his way towards the door, yelling he was on his way. He opened the door to find Max standing there with his arms crossed.

"My mom called, she's on her way back," Max kept his gaze down

David rubbed his neck, "Uh...thanks Max,"

Max had stayed with David while (Y/n) went off on a buisness trip. Guessing by his attitude, Max wasn't happy to be back at camp. (Y/n) was in a hurry to leave, so she didn't notice the state of the camp with it's overgrown leaves.  

He looked up to glare at him, "I'm going to wait for her by the entrance. I don't want her seeing just how badly you let this place go after only a week,"

David kept quiet as the young boy made his way over to the front entrance. He wouldn't admit it, but the camp had been run down. He debated in following Max, thinking if he might need some space. Before his mind wandered back to (Y/n) and how she's been worried about him.

Without a second thought, David followed behind him. He made his way over to the entrance where Max was standing, his hands inside his pockets.

"Hi Max, it's been a couple of days," David kept his voice lower than normal, "How's life with (Y/n) in the city?"

"Leave me alone, camp man," Max only muttered, keeping his eyes on the road

"C'mon Max, I know it's been hard. Especially since Neil and Nikki-"

"God damn! Don't you have Counselor Counseling to prep for? Just leave me alone!" Max shouted before storming off

David ran his hand through his messy hair as he watched Max. He wasn't worried as Max knew his way around the woods. He sighed before turning around to do some work in his cabin.

~~~

David sat inside the cabin doing mindless paperwork. He sighed as the door opened behind him. David didn't bother to look up as he spoke,

"David!" Max shouted

"Hey Max, is (Y/n) here to pick you up?" David asked in his low voice

"No, I'm here to tell you something,"