Chapter 20

"I love...you,"

(Y/n)'s eyes remained widen at how David just sang the last note. His tone shifted as his green eyes stayed locked onto hers anticipating her reaction.

David still held (Y/n) in a dipped potion, keeping her from moving.

"Wow David," she began breathlessly, "you still got that nice voice,"

"I mean it (Y/n)," David's eyes stayed locked on her.

(Y/n)'s mouth fell at what he said, before asking him, "Well, as a friend right?"

"No," David's face turned a darker color than what it already was. Is he really doing this?

"Not what I meant," David said as he brought her up. Immediately pulling her close that their chests were against each other. David could hear her heart beat against his.

The music slowly turned into background noise as (Y/n) listened to his next words carefully, "(Y/n/n), I...I really like you. More than just a friend,"

"Best friends?" (Y/n) asked again, still on shock. David shook his head no.

"No, I... I love you." David placed his hand on his head. The palm rested ontop of his eyes as the fingers gazed over his red hair. "I mean yes, I care about you as a friend but I meant more,"

(Y/n)'s eyes scanned David's face, in search to see if he was lying. She doesn't recall the last time she saw David's face this close up. (Y/n) was so close that she could see everything, from the very last freckle across his flushed face. Once (Y/n) determine that he was speaking the truth, she answered.

"You mean, romantically?"

It seemed silly to still question the authenticity of what David was saying. But it still couldn't be wrapped around her mind.

"Yes, romantically,"

David felt the fear of rejection bubble up again. Maybe he shouldn't have taken Gwen's advice of being more assertive. Now he might get rejected by one of his best friends.

(Y/n) thought about her situation again. David didn't know much about her, yet he claimed he loved her. But now he was expecting her response.

Did she love him back?

(Y/n) took a sigh, leaning into his chest for comfort. She listened closely to his rapid heartbeat and finally answered with,

"You don't know me, how can you be so sure that you love me,"

David only shrugged trying to calm his flushed face, "It's a feeling...do you feel it too?"

She closed her eyes. The music played an unfamiliar song as (Y/n) chose her next words carefully.

"David I really like you, but I'm afraid we might be moving too fast,"

He felt his heart cracked but she continued,

"That's not to say I don't like you either. I really like you, but I want to take things slow. I'm still in the process of adopting Max and we still got the summer camp to run,"

"That's right," David completely forgot about Max getting adopted by (Y/n). He hesitantly asked, "Then, what does that make us?"

(Y/n) looked up at David. Her chin rested on his chest. David was a good few inches taller than she was,

"You know nothing about me. Besides when we were kids and the few things from working at this camp-"

"I know things!" David defended. He sounded almost desperate.