Chapter 20

(Y/N POV)
My heart stops the moment our eyes lock. My stomach starts to churn thinking about the last time I saw him. Bellamy begins sprinting over to me, my brain takes a minute to register the fact that he saw me and is now on is way over. When it fully process what's going on it sends signals through my body telling every part of me to run and that's exactly what I do. I take off in the direction of my horse not daring to look back. After 5 minutes of sprinting through the forest I still haven't been able to loose him since I can still faintly hear his footsteps behind me. I have to loose him now or else we'll be running around all night. I glance around for anything that could help me out and to my luck I spot the waterfall a little ways away. I completely change my course, booking it to my plan of escape. I'm able to make it to the waterfall before he does so I use it to my advantage and jump in before he detects me. Once I'm fully submerged in the water I open my eyes to see Bellamys blurry figure frantically looking around for any sight of me. After a few seconds he walks away, I wait a minute before resurfacing just to make sure he's completely gone. The moment I'm above the waters surface I intake a huge breathe of air, filling up my deprived lungs.

I take a look around for any sign of Bellamy but thankfully I come up empty. I pull myself onto shore, resting a few seconds prior to getting up to find River. I find him walking with Lincoln within a few minutes of searching. By what I can tell from Rivers body language he's worrying greatly about something, but the question is what? With both of there backs turned towards me they don't see me slowly approaching which makes them unaware of my presence until I twig snaps from underneath my foot. This sudden noise catches both of their attentions because they swiftly spin around to face me. At first Lincoln's face held a expression telling me he's ready to kill whatever made that noise but soon softens realizing its only me. River face on the other hand was completely different, when he first spun around his face was full of worry but it quickly changed to relief seeing it was me.

The next thing I know River has already rushed over to me and is embracing me in a tight hug, so tight that it feels like he's afraid that if he lets go I'll disappear.

"Thank god you're okay. I was so scared you were hurt or worse. I swear I wanted to look for you but Lincoln wouldn't let me because it was to dangerous if it involved the sky people." River rambles on while pulling away from the hug to cup my face with his hands, frantically looking for any sign of injuries.

"Hey I'm here and okay. Everything is fine, someone saw me so I had to run but I managed to loose them." I reassure him as I place my hand on top of his. This action causes him to stop checking for wounds, meeting my eyes instead. I faint blush creeps onto his cheeks along with mine as I peer into his dark brown eyes while he gazes into my e/c ones. Without realizing it I begin to lean in, him doing the same, as our lips are just about to meet we're interrupted by a cough.

We both jump back, I'm not only startled by the unexpected cough but the kiss that would have happened if we weren't so rudely interrupted. Did I want that kiss to happen? Was it a in the moment type of thing? Does he like me like that? Is it to soon after Bellamy? The only thing I'm sure of right now is that my feelings for him are growing and very fast might I add.

"Lets go." Lincoln announces while climbing onto Rivers horse. I take a very quick glance in Rivers direction to see him trying so desperately to hide the raging blush that has find its way onto his whole face before redirecting my attention to the horses, all while trying to cease my own blushing. I totally forgot there are only two horses and three of us, someones going to have to ride with someone else. I quickly go to claim riding alone not wanting to have to ride or deal with River after our almost kiss but I'm unable to because Lincoln speaks first, "River you ride the white horse and Y/n can ride with you."

"What but that's my horse." I protest but he's ridden off. I huff and start to hop onto Eria but I come to a halt seeing that River is already in the drivers seat.

"What are you doing?" I irritatly ask since he seems to think he's riding my horse.

"What Lincoln told me to do, now get on." He replies in a tone like what he said should be obvious. I roll my eyes and get on behind him only because I didn't feel like arguing with him and risk him wanting to talk about our little moment.

"You might want to hold on." River recommends.

"And where would I hold on? Theres not exactly any handles back here genius."

"My waist is always a option." He says, I can practically hear the smirk in his voice. I don't get a chance to reply because Eria takes off after Lincoln with no warning what so ever. This causes me to wrap my arms around Rivers waist without even thinking. Over the sound of the wind blowing through my hair I faintly am able to make out the sound of Rivers laugh. I shake my head in disbelief coming to the realization that he took off on purpose just to get me to hold onto him. Even though I'm now aware of latching onto him I can't seem to find it in myself to let go. One reason being I don't want to fall off but the other reason being I like being this close to him.

The ride back to Polis went well, surprisingly neither me or River talked since we first left. River offered to walk me up to my room, in which I agreed even though I was afraid he'd want to discuss what happened between us. After a long yet comfortable walk to my room we finally make it. I go to thank him but he's already turning the corner out of my sight. I saunter into my room trying to recall his behavior on the walk to my room, I then remember he seemed to be anxious and kept acting like he was going to say something but decided against it. What was up with him? I brush off the thoughts of him as I look at myself in the mirror to see I'm not only damp from when I jumped in the waterfall but am covered in a mixture of dirt and mud. I look absolutely disgusting. I march into the bathroom connected to my room, along the way stripping down to nothing. I turn the shower on letting in run until it flushes out the cold water and is replaced with scolding hot water. (Idk if they have showers at polis but lets just act like they do.) Once I'm satisfied with the waters temperature I quickly jump in.

I find myself enjoying the shower for a little to long so I decide its time to get out, I turn the water off and step out while looking everywhere for a towel. I eventually find one stashed away in a cabinet, rapping it around my bare body I make my way out of the steam filled bathroom. The moment I walk out I'm met with River sitting on my bed, cheeks a scarlett red as his eyes take in I'm only wearing a towel.

"Oh my god." He whispers to himself in bewilderment before looking up to meet my eyes.

*finished editing*