Chapter 21

(Y/N POV)
"What the hell are you doing here?" I yell confused and surprised by his sudden appearance. I take a good look at him and his behavior seems to be like it was when we were walking to my room but even more anxious this time.

"Oh...um...well you see... never mind its actually not that important." He rambles and speed walks out of the room, I don't even get the chance to speak since he left so abruptly. Something is definitely off with him and planned to find out what was up with him . I begin to chase after him but then remembering I only have on a towel on, I turn back into my room. While slipping on a t-shirt big enough and a pair of pants I take a glimpse out one of the many windows in my room only to find the once dark sky is getting lighter, signifying its going to be morning soon if not already and I still haven't slept. The lack of sleep finally seems to hit me when a big yawn escapes. Realizing how exhausted I am I snuggle into my bed and make the decision that Rivers explanation on why he was in my room wait till after my slumber. I roll over onto my other side while listing all the possible reasons on why River has been acting odd ever since we got back home. It can't be because of our almost kiss because he acted semi normal after it happened, his bizarre behavior only started when we got back. I get so caught up with the list I eventually fall into a deep sleep without even noticing.

When I woke up it was to the sound of a loud knocking at my door. I pull my pillow over my over in a attempt to block out the god awful noise and go back to sleep but to my dismay is only comes again but this time much more louder. I sigh while doing my best not to fall onto the floor as I'm trying to untangle myself from the mess of blankets I'm wrapped in, I'm able to get free after a few seconds.

"Who is it?" I yell while walking still half asleep to the door.

"It's Lucas, now open up!" I don't even bother looking at the mirror before opening the door because one I know whatever mess I look like will not be able to be fixed within a few seconds and secondly I'm to tired to make myself look presentable at the moment. I open the door to reveal a cocky yet happy Lucas. I'm not surprised by the cocky part but I am surprised by the happy part, in the little time I've gotten to know him I've come to find he doesn't express emotions openly unlike River, and when Lucas rarely does show his emotions its usually because something important happened.

"Can I come in?" He asks with a wide grin plastered on his face. His smile is wonderful and gives me butterflies don't get me wrong but I eye him suspiciously, wondering what had made him so happy before stepping aside allowing him to enter. He sits on my bed, the smile on his face not fading one bit.

"Why are you so happy?" I question while trying to tame the rats nest you would call my hair.

"Your training with Lexa starts today and she said I could help." His answer only seems to confuse me more. Why would he be so happy about that? I nod in response, finishing the last touches on my hair.

"So how did the mission go last night?" Lucas asks as I strut over to my closest to pick out a appropriate outfit for training. Just the mention of last night brings back the thought of the kiss River and I almost shared, it also brings back the explanation Rivers owes me.

"Fine it was easy." I feel bad lying to him but I'm not necessarily lying because it was in some aspects easy, then again I am kinda lying because it didn't go what many people consider to be "fine." Either way I don't want to talk to him or anyone else for that matter about whatever is going on between River and I, if anything is going on between us. I mean what if I'm just making it out to be more then it actually is. After a few minutes of searching through my closet I have a outfit put together.

"You can wait outside while I change." I tell Lucas motioning to the door.

"Do I have to? I'd rather stay here." He smirks not moving a muscle in the direction of the exit.

"Yes now go." I try dragging him off my bed and to the door but to my displease he doesn't budge, the whole time he's laughing hysterically at my poor attempt to get him out.

"Alright, alright I'll go but you better hurry up." Once the door closes with him on the other side I proceed to get dressed. Straightening out the little wrinkles on my outfit I step outside my room to be met with a bored looking Lucas.

"Lets go get breakfast first I'm hungry." I suggest, the second I say breakfast Lucas's head perks up indicating he's now paying attention to what I'm saying.

"You don't need to tell me twice." He says while hopping up onto his feet and offering me his arm. I playfully roll my eyes as I hook my arm with his. On our walk to breakfast I recall I need to find River, just as I was about to ask if Lucas has seen him this morning we enter a big room that smells like food with lots of people.

As we walk to the table that is for me, the commander, and anyone we wish, all the people in a near vicinity of me stop what they're doing just to look at me. Some of the stares are curious or fascinated but the others are full of judgment and disgust, luckily only a few seem to be looking at me like that. I start feeling unconformable under everyones gaze and subconsciously cling onto Lucas's arm tighter, he seems to catch onto my wariness because he pulls me closer to him. In any other circumstance I probably would be enjoying being this close to him but right now the only thing I can focus on is the many eyes of strangers trained on me. Even though I'm very uneasy on the inside I don't show it, instead I try my best to radiate confidence. Thankfully no one expect Lucas seems to see through my false facade of confidence even though I'm clutching onto a boys arm like a scared little girl. After a few more agonizing seconds we reach the table, we both sit down next to each and simultaneously start eating. While taking a sip of water I glance around the room to see everyone has gone back to what they were doing before they stoped to stare at me, the thing that sticks out most to me is that even in the sea of all these faces I can't find River. If he was here there's no doubt I would have been able to spot him.

We finished breakfast fairly quickly so we made our way down to the training arena hoping to be early. Our hope was soon crushed when we found Lexa already there waiting for us. Training consisted of hand to hand combat, sword fighting, how to shoot a bow and arrow, and spear work. By the time it was over I was a sweating mess, the good thing is that Lexa said I was already superior then everyone here, the bad thing is that she also said I need to be better then the best meaning I still need to practice on a daily. I was able to beat Lexa three out of the five times we fought and I won against Lucas six out of the seven times we went against each other, to say he was surprised would be a understatement. When Lexa saw I was ready she let whoever wanted to go against me into the ring, I won every single time even when it was 1v6. After training all day I told my guards to fetch me dinner and to bring it up to me in my room after that they were all free to go home for the night, I didn't see a point in them staying to stay watch at my door because after everyone saw me fight today no one is going to try something. Training all day left no room in my brain to think about anything else but fighting so on the lonely walk to my room the thought of River came floating back into my head.

As I turn the corner to the hallway that possess my room I see a figure standing outside my door, it couldn't be one of my guards because I dismissed them all. So who was it? As I get a closer look I come to find its River standing there looking more anxious then I've ever seen him. He doesn't seem to notice my presence because he goes to knock on my door thinking I'm in there. Right has his fist is about to hit the door he pauses before pulling his hand back to his side.

"This is such a stupid idea. I can't do this." I hear him mutter as he turns his back to my door.

"River!" I yell trying to catch his attention before he walks off. Luckily I succeed because his head whips around to see who yelled his name.

"Here I go." He whispers to himself before running up to be right in front of me.

"River what's going on?" I ask confused about this whole situation.

"I have to tell you something." He replies while sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

*finished editing*

A/n
haha cliffhanger. i was wondering if i should keep Lucas as a lover interest or make him into a best friend. lmk.