Chapter 49

Perfection.

That was the word that came into mind as she looked at the image in the mirror. For a moment,she almost didn't recognize herself. And while she had never particularly been one to praise the way she looked,she had to admit that this,the way she looked right now,was absolutely stunning.

Delia turned,her eyes still on her reflection,admiring how the fabric glided over her bare skin,touching,caressing,holding on to her curves and dips in the most sensual of ways. This was after all,the look she was going for tonight. Delia  took a moment to mentally thank Briar for all the input she had given her when they were choosing what she'd wear that night.

"This one," Briar had said,her emerald green eyes widening in excitement as she grabbed her by the arm and literally dragged her to where the dress was displayed.

"I don't know Bry. You said that about the last five dresses. I don't think-" Delia began,the words drying up in her throat when she laid her eyes on the beauty. She felt something leap in her chest.

" I'm telling you Lia. THIS is it. This is the one we have been looking for. You HAVE to try it on," Briar insisted, already signalling the shop attendant to get it down for them.

"I don't know...it mightn't fit me. And have you seen that slit? I really don't think I could pull it off. And it's already backless-I'd be showing too much skin. Do you really think it's appropriate I-"

"Shush,"Briar said,effectively stopping her rambling.
"It's Lucas' event,so I think I'd know what's appropriate and what wasn't. And believe me when I tell you that this dress,would be the most decent one there,trust me. You'll be fine. Just go try it on. If it doesn't fit,we can always put it back. No big deal," And even though a twinge of anxiety kept tugging at her mind,Delia accepted the dress from the attendant and went to try it on.

Minutes later, Delia's voice was heard from the dressing room.

" Briar,I can't wear this dress," she said,her voice tinged with a clear tone of panic. Briar frowned in confusion and concern,sitting up from where she had been waiting as she changed.

"Why not Lia?" She asked her,her voice gentle.

"It's just- I can't- it's -" Briar let her struggle for a second, trying to find the right words for what exactly was the problem with the dress,before speaking.

"Just come out and let's have a look alright? Just let me see it first. If it's really that bad,we won't get it,"Briar said, trying to coax her out of the room.

"Promise?" Came her less panicked response.

"Promise,just let me see it then we can decide," Briar said,bracing herself for the worst. She heard the door click open. Delia slowly stepped out,her eyes glued to the floor as she nervously did a half twirl, trying to show Briar the dress from all sides without actually having to showcase herself to her.

"Fuck,"She heard Briar mutter.

"I knew it. I fucking knew it. I look stupid,I'm going to change,"Delia said, turning to leave.

"What? No. Don't," Briar said, grasping her hand before she could. " You look... fucking amazing in that dress," she finished,her words slightly breathless.

"Really?" Delia asked, looking up at her , trying to see any traces of her lying or hyping her up just to make her feel better.

"Really really," Briar said, squeezing her hand for confirmation. " When Keiran sees you in this dress,he won't stand a chance," she said,her lips curving up wickedly.