Chapter 13

Now Delia was alone. By then,many of the guests there had either sat down in various points of the ball room,or had gone outside for some air. Delia stood there for a moment,watching as how everybody laughed and talked,well,everybody but her.

Was this it? Beneath all the custom made suits and designer dresses,were they all just monsters? Wolves in sheep's clothing, the blood of the innocent fresh and still warm on their bared teeth. The Society. Delia wasn't stupid. There was something much bigger going on here. She just had to find out what. Another clink of glass. Another pearl of laughter. Did the others feel like this? Never alone,but all the more lonely? Or was it just her? People were beginning to stare. But why wouldn't they?

A woman standing all alone,in a room full of people,the rest of the women's beauty paling in comparison to hers. But those weren't her thoughts. No. Hers...hers were different.

Delia made her way to the balcony, her head bowed, eyes glued to the floor upon remembering the instructions she was so direly bound to.
The moment she left the room and entered the unsheltered space that was the balcony,goosebumps rose against her bare skin. The night air had grown cold,biting even,her gown doing little to protect her from the icy caress of the icy wind. Delia merely sighed,her hands crossing to cover her bare arms.

Granted,she did feel cold,but she couldn't.,no, wouldn't, go back inside. She needed it. Needed the quiet. Needed the solitude. Anything to distract her from what was happening. Like a moth drawn to flame,Delia found herself walking to the marble railing that caged them inside.

In the silvery moonlight, she could see everything around her. She leaned over and looked down. They were just a storey up. Not a significant height if she were truly honest with herself. Not significant enough to do some...real damage. Maybe the roof top? She wondered to herself,as she leaned back a little and sighed.

So much. There was so much going on. So much that she didn't know yet,so much she was yet to understand. She was barely twenty. She should have been in some campus attending some party. Getting drunk,getting high,having fun. Fun. When's the last time she truly had it? Only twenty years old,and already her life was nothing but a fucking mess. A never ending,tangled web. Lies. Hurt. Pain. They all strung up the complicated web that was her life.

But...it wasn't all woe and tears. Not all pain and sacrifice. There were moments,small ones really,that she lived for. Moments that were the little rays of sunshine in the pitch black abyss that was her life. Happier moments. Moments with Roman. Without even realizing it,she smiled.

"That's odd," a voice said beside her,causing her to turn to it almost immediately. Surprise, surprise.

"I've never seen someone smile and cry at the same time," she said ,somewhat amused.
"Are you ok,darling?" She asked her,her voice sounding genuinely concerned. Delia quickly brushed the back of her hand over her cheeks,her eyebrows rising at the sight of the wetness on her skin. Shit.

When the hell would she learn how to control these fucking dams in her eyes? And why the fuck didn't she even know she had been crying to begin with?