Chapter 38

Delia's nails dug deeper into her palms,the bite of the pain a momentary distraction from the feeling that was gnawing at her from the inside out. She gulped, trying to get rid of the dry, scratchy feeling that had settled deep in her throat,her heart beat getting louder by the second. She drew in breath and let it out,shakily,trying to calm her already frayed nerves. This is it,she thought,tearing her eyes from the smooth mahogany door to the shiny,polished doorknob below.

Why are you so nervous? Shouldn't you be happy that you are finally going to see him again?A voice in her head asked. Delia frowned, unclenching her fists,a puzzled look crossing her face when she saw the little red crescent shaped marks that were left indented into both her palms. She hadn't even realized she had been doing so until then. She hastily wiped her palms against the dark skinny jeans she had been wearing,having noticed just how sweaty her palms had been only then. Taking a deep breath,she knocked,twisted the doorknob and got in before she had a chance to even think about it,lest she chicken out of it like the last twenty minutes she had spent standing there.

. Closing the door silently,she slowly turned to face him,her breath caught in her throat. Delia's shoulders sagged in relief when she saw him. Right there on the hospital bed,monitors beeping with every breath he took,Roman lay. Asleep. Delia let out the breath she was holding as she slowly made her way to the side of his bed, careful not to wake him. As gently as she could,she sat on the plastic chair that was nearest to him. Delia simply looked at him,stared at him actually, seemingly unable to believe that he was actually there,there ,just a few inches across from her. His head was facing the opposite side of her, leaving her able to only see the back of his head,his face hidden from view. The sun had just risen from it's horizon,bathing the entire room with a soft light,tainting everything in it's path with a beautiful orange glow.

He had a beanie on,the dark Navy contrasting beautifully with the chocolate tresses of his hair that peeked out of the material,the locks curling slightly at their ends. His chemo curls had started to grow out but now...a heavy feeling grew over Delia,a lump forming in her throat as it did. Slowly,she reached out to him. If...if she could just,touch him. Even if it was for the barest of seconds,maybe all of this,maybe seeing him again...having him so close to her after all this time,maybe it would start feeling more realistic,and less like a beautiful dream she was bound to wake up out of. Her fingers trembled as they reached out for him,her movements unsure as her hand inched closer to his. Her palm hovered over the back of his hand,the slightest of quivers giving it a barely noticeable tremble,her skin barely grazing his own. Slowly,she placed her hand over his.

For a moment, Delia remained frozen,her mind overwhelmed with the certainty that that touch brought to her. She wasn't dreaming,Delia thought,her eyes beginning to glass over with fresh tears. Roman was actually there with her. And with that certainty,came a wave of happiness so profound, Delia couldn't stop the short burst of laughter that escaped her lips even as tears escaped her eyes. As gently as she could,she closed her fingers over the width of his palm, reflexively squeezing ever so slightly. As her fingertips moved over to graze his fingers,she couldn't help but get startled at the feel of his skin. His fingers were so cold. So cold that they made Delia's brow furrow in concern. Just as she was about to move to cover him up,he stirred.

Delia forgot to breathe as she watched him turn to his side,now facing her,the movement beneath his eyelids slow before his eyes slightly fluttered open. Roman blinked a couple of times as his eyes began to focus,his brow furrowing slightly before he yawned and opened his eyes just a bit more. Delia watched as those beautiful eyes,still heavy with sleep,lazily roamed around the room before...

"D..DeeDee?" He asked,his voice still groggy,his words slow. Delia's breath caught in her throat. This was it,she thought as she watched his eyes grow wider in realization. This was the moment where she'd know if he hated her for what she did to him or- ,