Chapter 47

"You really are terrible at this, aren't you?" He asked, laughing as the screen changed colour and the game ended.

"I just...I haven't got the hang of it yet. It's like my mind freezes and I forget what I'm supposed to do next or something. But next time I'll definitely beat you,"Delia said,setting the gaming console down.

"Tenth time's the charm?"Roman asked,his tone teasing as he sat up.handing her the other to put away.

"Well,at least I lasted longer this time,"Delia replied

  "I don't think five seconds longer is something you should be saying out loud, people might hear you," Roman said,  smirking.

   "Says the guy who couldn't watch one not so scary movie alone,"Delia said, finishing setting the gaming devices to sit across him,a triumphant smirk working its way in her face at his reaction.

"It was one  time. Besides. You can't tell me that you didn't find his slow decent into insanity the least bit scary. Or the fact that they manifested a supernatural force in a child. Give me jump scares,serial killers or even horrors based off of real life stories, but the ones  that involve children?  That stuff scares the shit out of me,"Roman said shuddering.

   "Tony,I'm scared," Delia suddenly said,quoting one of the characters of the movie,making her voice sound like that of a small child, laughing out loud when Roman cursed as he threw a pillow at her.

   "Don't do that DeeDee.  Do you have any idea how creepy that is?"He asked, running his hand over his face,making her laugh again. She quieted down,taking time to really savour that moment. The smirk on his lips,the twinkle in his storm grey eyes,the sudden rush of color in his cheeks.

It felt so...normal,being here like this with him. As if he wasn't undergoing chemo to save his life,again. As if her emotional stability wasn't hanging by a thread. As if he,the only family she could say had, hadn't tried to leave her alone in this world, twice. As if their childhoods hadn't been complete tragedies. At that moment,they were just that,brother and sister. And Delia would have given the world for them to exist forever in that little bubble of theirs. But a glance at the time told her that it was time to go.

"I have to be somewhere this afternoon. And I go back to work tomorrow morning. But I'll be here this evening to hang out then say goodbye okay?"Delia said, trying not to think about how much her heart wept at the thought of leaving him,again,her voice surprisingly level. Something flashed in those grey eyes of his,but all he did was nod and give her a small smile.

  "Okay. Sounds great. See you later then,"Roman said,his lips turning upwards to a closed smile. Delia raised an eyebrow then went to tackle him into the biggest bear hug she could muster.

  "Jeez it's not like you won't ever see me again,"he said laughing as he squirmed in her grasp."And your boobs are literally squishing my face gross,"Roman added,making a face. Delia rolled her eyes,smiling as she let go.

  "I was being nice you goof. I'll be back,okay?"she asked him. Roman looked away, pretending to wipe off where her bust had touched his face." Hey," she asked,making him turn to face her." Are you okay?" Delia asked him,concerned. He frowned.

    " Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" He asked,his expression that of confusion,Any other person would have left it at that, convinced,but Delia knew better.

  "Roman. Come on. Talk to me. You can talk to me, remember?" She asked him.

  "Yeah. I know. I'm good. You can leave it's okay,"Roman replied,smiling,but the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "Besides. You'll be back in the evening. It's fine," he added. Delia raised an eyebrow, clearly not buying it. Roman rolled his eyes and let out a short laugh.