CHAPTER 1

TW: descriptions of panic attack

Y/N's POV

An icy chill runs down my spine and I pull the warm grey cardigan tighter around my shoulders. Towering Roman columns line the halls of the great library.

Books filled the tall walls, hundreds upon hundreds; each one perfectly preserved despite their age. There was a concave ceiling with an intricately painted mural.

The ever-burning fireplace cast a dim glow over the seating area in front of it. Figures with names long forgotten were carved into it's stone surface.

My description of the library could never do it enough justice, you would have to see it in person in order to grasp its true elegance.

I walked through the empty halls shutting the grand oak doors of the room behind me.

I made my way to the front office, and I said good bye to the librarian whom I had gotten close to over the past few months. She was a kind, gentle lady, and I enjoyed our little talks as I came to and from the library.

I hurried to my car, pulling my cardigan as tight as I could to preserve warmth.

I sat in my car for a bit to warm up before I decided to start driving home.

I was born and raised in New York City by my mother, and I loved to watch the city as I drove by. Looking at all the lights of the houses and apartments that illuminated the city was almost therapeutic, despite all of the traffic. I began thinking of how New York was the most beautiful in winter. The lights, the decorations, all of it was simply magical. 

Growing up, my mother used to take me to the Rockefeller center every year to see that great big tree, completely lit up with Christmas lights. I hoped that we could see it again this year. 

I was quickly pulled from my thoughts, when my car skidded across the black ice coating the street. I only lost control of the wheel for a brief few seconds, but before I knew it my car had already collided with the bus in front of me.

My whole body slammed into the steering wheel, and I heard the sound of bone striking metal.  Apparently, my airbag was just a millisecond late setting off. When it did inflate, it struck me right in the face; causing my neck to whip backwards. 

My eyes were only open for a few moments, but I could see the cuts and gashes on my legs and a few on my arms before  everything went black, and I could no longer see or feel anything.

Around me I could hear the sounds of people running towards my car and the person in front me panicking; asking if I was okay. I could hear sirens coming from afar, and just like that I was unconscious.

I kept falling in and out of consciousness as I was taken away in an ambulance. the only thing I remember hearing was the voice of the paramedic trying to keep me from falling asleep.

I was out for a few hours, and when I came to, I was alone in a standard hospital room. When I looked at my arms and legs, they were completely intact. Not a single cut, bruise, or mark.

It was as if I wasn't even in the car when it crashed.

I sat up on the bed and pushed the nurse call button beside me, to see if anyone was around to tell me what had happened. More importantly, I wanted to know why there was nothing wrong with me.

When the nurse came in, he was accompanied by a doctor. Probably to update me on my 'situation'.

"Y/N how are you feeling?"

"Why aren't I dead?"

"Y/N, the paramedic on scene said you had suffered from major head trauma, and that your neck was broken. However, while in the ambulance, your body completely healed itself."