CHAPTER 27

Y/N's POV:

I don't remember falling asleep, only the brief moments before the growing tiredness consumed me.

I woke with his arm around me.

His breath in my ear.

The sound of his breathing, a continuous pattern that almost lulled me back to sleep.

Almost.

It didn't feel right. Something inside me knew it was wrong. It didn't feel like it should. It didn't feel like those good mornings where you wake up and procrastinate to stay in bed, actually it was the quite opposite. Having him here, letting him stay the night was a mistake and one I would not let happen again.

It just couldn't.

It couldn't for the many reasons that I couldn't blame him, and the many reasons as to why it was so wrong of me to let things get this far only days after Loki's death.

Something inside me hurt for Bucky, something inside me wanted to stay beside him. To soak up the warmth— the support he offered.

Another told me that it was wrong, that me and Loki had begun something— an odd something. I'm not sure if I'm ready to let all of that go just yet. Whatever it was.

I laid there, unmoving as I stared at the ceiling. I wasn't thinking about anything, no thoughts or conscience to tell me that anything I was doing was wrong or right.

It seemed to come and go as it pleased at the most convenient of times.

I lifted his arm off of me and surprisingly he didn't wake or stir.

I sat on the edge of the bed, the cold morning nipping at my toes as they reached the ground.

I walked over to the closet and grabbed a jacket and pulled it on over my pyjamas. The building had already come to life once more as it did almost everyday.

I took the elevator down and called for a cab. As I had given him the address he just shook his head and asked again if this was right. I was confused but replied the same, telling him that it was in fact the right address.

He shook his head as he pulled out off of the side street and drove me there.

The library.

A part of me broke inside at the sight of burnt aftermath of the remains of what the building used to be.

Could he not of told me it was burnt down?

I got out of the cab slowly and shut the door after paying. He left and I was once more alone. I didn't know where to look first.

The stone was still standing tall, the pillars now the only reminder of what a grand building it was. The books and everything else that had been in the library had been removed or damaged and taken away.

I walked over to stand in the middle of the columns where a single true carnation stood.

Upon walking between the two columns I felt as though I had passed through a veil, like the columns were a barrier between two worlds.

A feeling of comfort passed over me like a warm blanket, and I couldn't help but soak it in.

I sat down in front of the flower. I blinked back the burning in my eyes, and tried to swallow the forming lump in my throat.

My hand found its way to my mouth for a few moments unable to express the whirlwind of emotions I was experiencing right now.

How could this have happened? Who would have done this?