Chapter 3

*TW: cutting/blood*

Y/N's POV

I was awoken by the librarians soft voice.

"Miss, I know you must be tired, but I'm gonna have to ask you to get up now. The janitor has to finish mopping this section, and I need tidy up these books."

I grunt and stiffly get to my feet. What time is it?

I crane my neck to look over at the clock on the wall. 

Damn, it's 11:00 I'm supposed to meet dad for 11:15. 

"I'm so sorry for..... all of this." 

I gesture broadly to the books scattered on the floor. 

"I must have forgotten to put them away."

"That's quite alright, I'm just glad someones actually reading these days."

I could've sworn I heard her hip dislocate as she bent down to pick up the first book. I took that as my queue to leave. 

I grabbed my keys from my back pocket and headed through the exit of the library. Little did I know that would be the last time I would ever see it.

I jumped into my car and sped off to the tea shop.

************

I managed to make it to the tea shop just in time. I walked over to the barista.

"Hi, how I can I help you?"

"Hi, I'm here to meet someone."

"Name?"

"Y/N Gray"

A figure approaches me from behind.

"Y/N?"

I turn around to see a middle aged man, dressed in casual business attire.

"Dad?" I look him up and down.

"I saved us a table at the back. C'mon."

I followed him to the back of the shop, where a small table lay waiting. We sat in silence for a moment. We went through the motions of the awkward small talk. Turns out after he left my mother and I, he had gotten married and had 2 children, with a woman named Caroline. They met at an office party, and have been together ever since.

"So what do you actually do for work?"

"That's exactly why I wanted to talk to you Y/N." he looked around to see that no one was in earshot. "I work for an organization called S.H.I.E.L.D. They are responsible for working with special people, people like you."

"What do you mean, 'people like me'?"

"As your mother may have told you, you're different, and I want to help you."

"So this wasn't a family reunion?"

He chuckles and says "Of course this is, but this is also about ensuring your safety, and that you can also manage these abilities."

"There's not much to manage."

"That's what they all say."

"Who do you mean."

His phone dings and he looks down at it before saying "I have to leave now, we should do this again sometime. I suggest you stop by this place. Ask for 'Nick'."

He slides me a business card with an address on the back. "Tell them Augustus sent you."

I looked down at the business card and when I looked up he was already gone.

"Bye... I guess."

I exit the tea shop and step into my car. Just as I put the key into the ignition I heard a voice from behind me.

"Don't move."

The voice pushed a gun against my skull, and cocked it.  

"There are four bombs placed inside the tea shop. If you don't cooperate, this whole place goes up in flames, and all those innocent people die."

Before I can get a word out, the voice grabs my hands and places heavy restraints onto my wrists.

A bag is pulled over my head, and two sets of arms pulled me out of my car. I could hear the car door slam shut.

A great force hits the back of my head, and I blackout.

When I come to, the bag was ripped off my head. Dull lights lit the space in front of me.

It looked like I was in someones basement or a warehouse. Around me I could yelling in some foreign language.

As my eyes adjusted to the light, I could see 3 men in black.

Upon noticing that I had woken up, they made their way towards me.

I looked down as one of them began to come closer. When I looked up I could see that his arm was plated in metal.

Another man came out from behind him and pulled out a red notebook with black star engraved in the middle.

"Longing." The man began

"Rusted."

"Seventeen"

"Daybreak."

"Furnace."

"Nine."

"Benign."

"Homecoming"

"One"

"Freight car. Soldier?"

After finishing his last word the man with the metal arm replied.

"Ready to comply."

"Заставь ее говорить, и не выходи отсюда, пока не сделаешь это." (Make her talk, and don't leave here till you do.)

And with that, everyone left the room except for one man.

"Who are you?"

He didn't answer.

He just advanced towards me slowly, like a predator stalking his prey.

"Speak." was all he said.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mumbled "Why am I here? I don't even know what you want from me."

With that he raised his metal arm and struck me across the face. My cheek stung, and I could tell I was bleeding. Within moments the cut healed itself.

"I told you I don't know! What more do you want from me?" 

His gaze was cold, unwavering. It didn't appear to faze him.

He fetches a knife from the nearby table, and begins to drag it down my arm. With each cut of the blade, a small trickle of blood followed. But it never stayed for long.

When he saw that I was healing, he only cut deeper. The deeper the wound, the longer it would take to heal. The longer it took to heal, the more pain I would be in. 

After hours of being cut, beaten, throttled, waterboarded, and more, I still refused to say anything. 

I wanted to tire him out, and in order to do that I needed to make him mad.

I shook my fear from me and put on a poker face. "I'm. Not. Telling. You. Shit."

He ran at me with his fist raised and began striking me back and forth across the face. I was in pain, but wouldn't give them the satisfaction of showing it. My jaw ached, and agony danced across my skin. The wounds were healing slower now, they would likely be infected after a few days if they didn't receive treatment. 

After punching me for what seemed like for ever, the chair I was tied to had fallen over.

Four men came up, and started pulling him away from me. In the process he dropped his knife and I had just enough energy to grab it and hide it under my sleeve before passing out.