CHAPTER 16

Y/N's POV:

Buildings were burning and children were crying.

Ships, spread throughout the dark sky firing down upon those in their paths. I hadn't the time to think before sprinting down the palace steps, dodging and hurdling over the rubble and structures that began to crumble.

A small ship drew my attention from the destruction in time for my gaze to follow it, crashing into the shields that began to raise around the palace. Its gold-like sheet shimmered as the sun's rays beamed of it. Just as the shield fully enclosed itself, another one of the ships managed to get through, smoke and fire left in its wake.

I quickly turned my attention back to the disaster before me. Hoping and praying as I ran towards the main source of panic that the casualties wouldn't be too severe.

Soldiers stationed at posts just outside the heart of the city began charging forwards as well. They fought as gracefully as they were trained, each movement precisely timed and performed.

I continued, carefully watching the ships in the sky and the road ahead.

The air began to burn my lungs with each breath I took, the oxygen coming too fast with each step. The muscles in my legs protested the farther I ran as the shock began to wear off.

It only got worse the further along I became.

I couldn't turn back, couldn't lock myself behind a closed door and hide.

I pulled the dagger from the strap on my thigh and dove into the fight in front of me. The creatures that came out of the ships were unlike any I had ever seen before.

Their pale, scaled skin peaked outside of the leather and chainmail they were dressed in. Their eyes, a swirling abyss of utter darkness darting between each and everyone around them. It had only been seconds that I had there before a few of them began charging towards me.

The metal of their swords clashed against mine with each slash and the palms of my hands began to sweat.

One after the other I cut them down, with only moments to spare before a new pair came forward. I ran onwards, picking up one of the swords of the fallen and continuing my way through the city.

It was chaos.

Fires burned in many homes and stores, and children and their mothers huddled behind tables and chairs. I caught glimpses of some of the palaces guards lying lifelessly and scattered along the cobblestone paths and acid began to creep up my throat.

I quickly pulled myself from their line of fire and into an empty alleyway. I pushed my head against the cold stone and took deep breaths, pushing the thoughts from my mind.

You're okay.

A voice seemed to say in my head. It was distant and I wasn't sure if it was myself or some subconscious thought soothing my mind.

Deep breath in and a deep breath out.

Pull yourself together.

Shrink that thought, and throw it away. Far, far away. It's not important. You need to focus.

Do it for them.

And I did just that.

I took one last deep breath and pulled myself together. Finally, as the feeling of bile creeping up my throat had subsided.

I pushed myself off the brick wall, the coolness of the surface seeping into my fingers before they left.

I took hold of the hilt of the sword once more, turning and flipping it in my grasp until it felt more comfortable.