CHAPTER 24

Thor watched as his brother was killed in front of him. Held him while he lay breathing his final breath.

Unsure of how long he stayed there he got up, he had to go home but how? How could he just leave his body there to rot and how could he have been so careless with his life.

He had died protecting them.

After so much loss it was hard for Thor to find the strength to leave him, but it was his only choice. He needed to take Jane safely back to Asgard and so he did.

-

It felt weird for him to be walking back through the halls, loss in indescribable ways and and in many different forms lay heavily upon his shoulders.

Alone.

He didn't know how to describe the feelings that pierced through him.

How was he going to tell his father, his friends... how was Y/N going to react to this.

He thought of just lying his way out. Saying Loki needed a bit of a break from Asgard for a couple of day just to let them at least mourn their mother a little while longer.

That was when he saw her coming down the hallway towards him, "Thor," she smiled, that ever so bright smile before embracing him "I'm sorry I've been gone."

He immediately lost track of the lie he so wished he could come up with. The easy way out of things. That was all he needed for once.

She pulled away from him, scanning his face. He knew she saw what was under the surface of the thick mask he bore as well as he could.

"What's wrong?" she asked, a softness to her voice.

"Loki." he whispered.

"What about him?" she continued, a certain edge forming in her tone.

"He's... he's dead."

She was taken back by what he had exclaimed. Not ready to believe the words she so wished weren't true. Hoping that it was just another prank, although this one wasn't that funny.

"Very funny Thor." she said almost in question.

"I'm not joking around." he said once more.

"You... you have to be joking. Come on Thor," she put her hands on his shoulders, "tell me it's a joke. You've got to be pranking me." tears welled in her eyes.

Her breath became heavy and her body started to tip from side to side as her balance became unsteady.

"You've got to be joking." she whispered, her voice breaking as a single tear fell down her porcelain face.

Her hands lifted from her sides as she covered her mouth, "Oh, god." she said, "Oh god."

"Y/N..." Thor began reaching towards her to help her catch her balance.

"Was he in pain?" she whispered, her head resting against his chest.

"He died valiantly, he protected us. I wouldn't be here without him." he stood tall, not wanting to give in to the thoughts that told him he should just lay down and give up.

That was when Lady Sif and the warriors three came in, and it was now time to break the news to them as well.

Although they weren't close with Loki nor did they consider him a friend, he was a constant presence in their lives and it would be hard to fill the empty spot where he used to be.

Thor made sure Y/N got back to her room before heading to Odin. He would suffer the consequences, that he knew. He was ready for them.

Y/N on the other hand didn't know how to feel.

She had just spent the last day traveling back to the palace. Tired and dirty, she slid down against the wall, hands clutching her knees to her chest.

She wasn't sure what they were. She didn't know if she should scream and shout or throw something, or act as though it was a terrible loss but not one she should spend her time crying about.

People seemed to die around her. Like she was a disease and everything she touched turned to gray ashes.

Her heart was a cursed object and she wished it away. She wished that it would let her make the right decisions and stay away from those who were destined to die.

A knock came at her door and she jumped at the sudden sound. She stood, brushing herself off before opening.

A guard stood out front, "Lady Y/N, Odin requests your presence in the throne room."

She wiped her eyes and nodded, following him out as he lead the way.

She watched as the guard brought her to the edge of throne before they both bowed upon Odin's arrival. He didn't sit on his throne, only stood and watched before motioning her to follow him into one of the empty rooms position behind him.

She hesitated before following him, her brain tired and her body worn out from the long trip back.

In the room stood Thor and a few other Asgardians she had yet to learn the names of. "Sit child." Odin commanded before taking his own place at the head of the golden table that stood before them.

"I know the news of the death of my son has come to as a shock to you, as it has to all of us. But, there is some other news that I have been advised you should know." he finished waiting for her to show some sign of acknowledgment.

All she could do was nod.

Thor cut in this time, taking over the job of sharing the news once more. She didn't know if she could take it this time.

She didn't know how much sorrow she could handle and carry.

"Your friend, James Barnes has been found and is currently in custody at the stark tower. It has been advised that you should go back to New York. You are to arrange your things. You'll be leaving on the hour."

"I- What?" she said.

"He's been found Y/N." he repeated

"How? When?"

This time it was Odin who spoke, "All you questions will be answered upon your arrival. I would suggest you say your goodbyes and visit Heimdall."

She stood almost before he finished, quickly bowing before running to Sif and the others as she said her goodbyes.

She has no clothes to pack. None that she would take with her anyways and at the moment all she wanted was to go back home. To see Tony and the others.

He would know what to say. He would know how to make everything better.

Then she would deal with Bucky. She would finally get her answers that she so desperately needed.

After hugging everyone goodbye, she could at last  breathe.

She was excited and nervous and sad, but she was ready to go back. She was ready to hear what would finally give her closure. A small stitch in the hole in her chest she was trying to fill.

She was finally going home.

-

Sorry this chapter is shorter than usual, but they've finally found bucky?

Let me know what you think in the comments and thank you so much for 16.5k!