CHAPTER 11

Y/N's POV:

Sitting up on the bed, I carefully pulled the rest of the covers from on top of my legs—the cold air from the shattered window nipping at my cheeks. Cautiously I lifted my weight from the mattress and onto the floor. As I turned my head over my shoulder, I could see his peaceful body slowly rising and falling as he lay there sleeping.

A cold chill running up my spine told me something about today was going to change. No matter how many times I tried to tell myself, everything would be okay—I couldn't shake the feeling.

Creeping out of the darkroom, the sun slowly started to peek over the tall buildings; I walked down the hall and back into mine. The same musty smell lingered through the air around me.

I walked over to the bed and folded the blankets that were still lying there from the night before, placing them back into my bag. I made my way over to the bathroom and shut the door, locking it behind me. Placing my hands onto the sink, my mind began racing.

Each thought and worry was interrupted by new ones. Blurs of memories I had never lived were on repeat in my brain.

I shook my head, thinking they would stop but, nothing seemed to work.

I turned the nozzle to the sink expecting leftover water sitting in the pipes to come out, but nothing.

Maybe fresh air will clear my head.

I unlocked the door walking over to my bag, hiding it underneath the bed. I tied my hair up with an elastic in my pocket as I exited the room and began my descend on the stairs.

My steps echoed down through the silence of the long tunnel stairwell. I moved quieter, afraid there was a slight chance a scout from the lab could hear me.

I knew I could defend myself, but I was afraid they'd find out we were staked out here.

If they hadn't already.

Finally making it to the bottom of the long trip down, I walked through the rocks and debris onto the small patch of grass.

The small breeze that brushed cooly against my face was enough to put my mind to rest for the time being.

I stretched my arms into the sky before sitting down on the soft grass. My legs outcrossed in front of me, and my arms holding me up by my sides. As my subconscious thoughts finally calmed down, I was able to think rationally for myself.

If he doesn't say anything about last night, then neither will I. I'm going to pretend it never happened. I'll have to suck it up and sleep in my own bed if my nightmares keep me up. God, why am I so stupid? I had already been humiliated once before.

The memory of my mistake with Loki still fresh in my mind.

Even though it had been at least a week later, the embarrassment was ever-lasting.

What an ass.

I rose to my feet and started walking back towards the stairs when a loud crash came from one of the windows in the building. Glass fell from above, scattering against the earth floor.

My eyes darted between the space between me and the entrance.

Could I make it?

3....2...1

I sprinted towards the entrance and up the stairs into the empty hallway. Carefully stepping down the hallway, my back pressed against the wall. I peered into each room before making it to mine.

I pushed the door all the way back until it touched the doorstop before entering.

It was quiet.